cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with upgrading firmware.

conan_lindsey
New Contributor II
I am looking into upgrading firmware on our icx 7150 switches and I wanted to verify upgrade options. We currently have a number of switches running 08.0.80caT211 and some that are running 08.0.90bT213. The older version is a non router firmware and the others are router firmware. I would like to have all switches on the 08.0.90bT213 firmware. My main question is if I upgrade a non router switch to router capable firmware will they go offline until I change the ip information, or will they convert the current information to match new configuration options? Will I have to use a console connection to manually change the settings to the proper default gateway and add a routable virtual interface.
6 REPLIES 6

hashim_bharooc1
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Conan,

We do not recommend running 8080 code.
Why did you go with 8090x Code? 
Did you go with 8090  to use Smart Zone to monitor the ICXs?     If so that would be a good reason to go with 8090x. I would recommend 8090d.  This is the latest code.  If not then you can stick with latest 8070 code.

When you change code from router to switch and vice versa, you will need to fix the ip configuration part of it.

Also there are corner cases for upgrading from pre 8090 so please check documentation about it.  If you are doing stack upgrades using manifest files you have to follow this corrected procedure:

To upgrade a stack from 8030x to 8090x using Manifest method ,  follow the below series of steps :

1.Copy 8080e Non-UFIimage  Manifest file on the system running 8030x ,Moving to 8080e is mandatory and recommended per Engineering .

copy tftp system-manifest x.x.x.x FI08080e_Manifest.txt all-images-primary

2. Reboot the Stack and  make sure all the unit in stack has the image that is upgraded with .

3.Next , copy  8090x UFI image on the system running 8080e

copy tftp flash x.x.x.x SPR08090bufi.bin primary

4.Reboot the stack

5.Copy 8090xUFI image in secondary flash.

Note :

Interim step to move to 8080e is Mandatory per recommendation from Engineering.

These steps are not required on a standalone system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hashim

conan_lindsey
New Contributor II
We went with 8090b because we contracted with a company to configure and replace over 100 switches in our school system.  That was the firmware they recommended based on our discussions.  We currently still have about 100 switches with 8080ca firmware and from a management standpoint I would like to keep consistent firmware across the board.  I was hoping it would be easier then having to touch each switch during the upgrade, but that seems to not be possible.

hashim_bharooc1
RUCKUS Team Member

OK but are you using smart zone to manage the switches?  That would be the key reason to go with 8090X code stream.
Regardless, since you are at 8090b I would recommend going with 8090d at this point as there are many defect fixes in 8090b that was being addressed in 8090 code stream.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Hashim

conan_lindsey
New Contributor II
We are not using smart zone currently.  I will certainly upgrade to 8090d.