cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up VLAN trunk ports on ICX switches - is this possible?

victorhooi
New Contributor
I have several Ruckus ICX7150-12P switches, running 08.0.92d (SPR08092d.bin).

Our router is a pfSense.

I'm trying to setup trunk ports to act as uplink ports between the ICX switches.

I'm normally used to Cisco/Arista, and their concept of access/trunk ports - so I'm still getting used to configuring things on Ruckus.

I've created the VLANs, and I've designated some ports as access ports like so:
vlan 16 name Office
tagged ethernet 1/1/12
However, when I try to create the trunk ports, I hit an issue:

ICX7150-C12 Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#vlan-config add all-tagged 
INFO : Command may take approximately 0 Seconds
error - IP routing, vrf, ip policy, route-only, rpf-mode, ip-mac or ip tcp mss was configured on ports  1/1/1
I checked, and port 1/1/1 does have an IP address - it seems to have pulled one via DHCP by default. (And I can also use this IP address to SSH into the switch and configure things).

I found out that I can remove the IP address, then apply the above VLAN configuration:
ICX7150-C12 Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#int eth 1/1/1
ICX7150-C12 Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#no ip address * 
ICX7150-C12 Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#vlan-config add all-tagged 
INFO : Command may take approximately 0 Seconds
ICX7150-C12 Router(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#
 VLAN : [  82] 
Port(s) ethe 1/1/1  add to 2 vlan(s) complete.....
However, the IP address seems to come back on its own after a couple of minutes.

Obviously, I assume this isn't the correct way to configure things.

The other issue is - devices don't seem to be talking correctly through the uplink ports I've configured between two ICX switches.

Anyhow - what is the correct way of setting up some ports as access ports (e.g. Ports 2-4 are VLAN 10, ports 5-10 are VLAN 20, ports 11-12 are VLAN 30), and then also trunk ports that connect between the switches, and to our router, that carry all the VLANs?
7 REPLIES 7

paul_mcguire_20
Contributor
Running the router (layer 3) code is a big difference than running the switch (Layer 2) code.  If you have pfsense as your router I would think you would be better off running the switch code.

Fenny
New Contributor

Dear Sir,

We have tried all possibilities, but no luck. 

Can u please provide me a commands for trunk configuration, request.

for RUCKUS ICX 7510- 24port switch

Thanks and Regards

Fenny Kumar

Labuser
New Contributor

Fenny I am no expert but trunk ports work without issue. I have setup trunks between ICX, Telesis Switches and a Trunk to ESX distributed switch in a home lab environment. You may be having some difficulty if you are used to setting up  Cisco trunks, the terminology is quite different with other switch OS's. A trunk in Ruckus is associated to aggregation groups unlike Cisco a trunk is actually a port with multiple VLAN's that are pre tagged to traverse that interface. 

enab
conf t
vlan 10 #creates vlan 10 (if not already created)
vlan 2048 #

--------->So now tag the interface to the VLAN (reverse of how Cisco does trunks)

SSH@CoreSwitch(config)#vlan 10
SSH@CoreSwitch(config-vlan-10)#tagged ethernet 1/1/8
Added tagged port(s) ethe 1/1/8 to port-vlan 10.

SSH@CoreSwitch(config-vlan-10)#exit

SSH@CoreSwitch(config)#vlan 2048
SSH@CoreSwitch(config-vlan-2048)#tagged ethernet 1/1/8
Added tagged port(s) ethe 1/1/8 to port-vlan 2048.

--------->Now ether 1/1/8 is effectively (in Cisco language) a trunk for vlan 10 & 2048
--------->That's it