cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing core switch for network system (wifi, camera and IPTV)

duy_bui_minh
New Contributor
Can anyone here help me chooses core switch for wifi, camera and IPTV system for hotel with 26 floors, each floor have 12 rooms. Each floor I use 12 AP, 3 camera and 12 RJ port for IPTV. Can I use ICX7450-48F-E for core switch?
4 REPLIES 4

simon_pollard
Contributor II
What does the rest of your planned network look like? Do you have a switch on each floor?

If you are planning a network with switches on each floor and 1G fiber aggregation links to a central location then the 7450-48F is an ideal core switch. There are a number of ways that the design could be optimised depending on your requirements, I would suggest that you contact you local Ruckus partner or distributor for help with the design

Thanks for your reply Simon,
Yes I have a switch on each floor, ICX7150 48 port for camera, wifi and IPTV.

Network:

[2 x ICX7450 1GB SFP - HA ] ------optical fiber---------[26 x ICX 7150 48 Port]---------CAT6------[Wifi+camera+IPTV].

Each floor have 12AP, 3 camera and 12 IPTV

For 1G aggregation the 7450-48F will work very well in your design, the two core switches can be stacked together to make an HA pair (I think this is what you have planned).
If you move to a 10G backbone then the switch to use is the 7750-48F, this can also be stacked for HA and simplified management. 

netwizz
Contributor III
The 7450-48F makes a great core switch.  If you have two pairs of fiber going to each wiring closet, you can use LACP with it.

Basically, you stack two of them using the QSFP+ 40 GB stacking cables in the back, but before you do that you do that, set the firmware the same on both, and on your MASTER

conf t
stack unit 1
priority 128
exit
exit

some-switch# stack enable
some-switch# hitless-failover enable

Then cable them using the 40 GB stacking cables...

some-switch# stack secure-setup

y
y
.... a few times to accept the topology.

[WAIT for the second switch to boot, an election to take place, standby to be assigned etc.  Wait until you see "protocols ready, can failover" when you do a "show stack" before configuring anything.

You should see ALL interfaces listed, and when you do a "write mem" it should copy to all the stacked units.

SSH@SOME_Stack#sh media | inc 40
Port 1/1/40:  Type  : EMPTY
Port 1/3/1:  Type  : 40GE-Active Copper 1m (QSFP+)
Port 1/4/1:  Type  : 40GE-Active Copper 1m (QSFP+)
Port 2/1/40:  Type  : EMPTY
Port 2/3/1:  Type  : 40GE-Active Copper 1m (QSFP+)
Port 2/4/1:  Type  : 40GE-Active Copper 1m (QSFP+)

From there you want to create your LAGs to terminate on different physical chassis:

For example:

lag SOME-LAG dynamic id 11
 ports ethe 1/1/14 ethe 2/1/14
!

Then you treat those as logical interfaces like this:

vlan 1234 name CAMERAS by port
 tagged lag 11
 router-interface ve 1234
!

interface ve 1234
port-name CAMERAS Gateway
ip address 10.0.0.1/24
ip helper-address 1 10.1.2.3
ip helper-address 2 10.5.6.7

On the other side you have your ICX 7150-48P units or similar, and you use TAGGED to bring in the 802.1q VLAN into it via a LAG using the same syntax as above.

To the cameras, you probably want those ports UNTAGGED in the appropriate VLAN unless the cameras are explicitly tagging frames.

You also probably want "INLINE POWER" enabled for PoE+ support on your 7150 units.

Note:  On 08.0.70 and later Inline Power is enabled by default.

If you want to go 10 Gigabit, you probably want the 7700 series for the core.

Regardless the 7150's support it on the SFP+ slots though there are only 4 slots on the 7150-48p units.

On the 7150's if Port On Demand licensing is applicable for 10 Gigabit you would install like this:

license install perpetual 1 4x10gr

Please DO take notice that you would then need to manually set 1000-full for any links with a standard 1000 Base SX, LX or similar optic. like "speed-duplex 1000-full"

For 10 Gigabit, you would leave that argument off and attach an appropriate SR, LRM, LR etc. SFP+