cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus R510 signal drops only in parts of the house

michael_milewsk
New Contributor

Hey, everyone. In my 2 bedroom apartment I have an Xfinity Modem and I *had a NetGear NightHawk router. Wifi is great aside from in the furthest room (the place is small). I will be on the bed in the room and have almost full bars then I go in the bathroom of the same room and it totally drops, it does this on all devices. My boss gave me a R510 AP. I removed the Netgear and connected to the Modem. Had to Keep WIFI on the modem on, as when I enabled bridge i have no access at all,

I have the same exact issue with the Ruckus. It is in the far bedroom but again, in the other furthest bedroom it works fine aside from if I go all the way near the window or in the restroom which are both only feet away from where it works fine. 

What am I doing wrong? Should I reconnect my Netgear and disable wifi on that? So that I have Modem-router-ap? 

4 REPLIES 4

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Michael,

Looks like a dead zone or something is eating up the RF in the bathroom.

Download a WiFi analyzer app on a mobile and see what signal strength it is showing when you go to the bathroom.

Also try to disable 5G radio once and test if 2.4G still performing there or do vice-versa.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

@syamantak_omer Thanks, I will try that and report back. Does it matter if I have Modem to AP or should I have kept the Netgear in place, and disabled the wifi and enabled bridge on the modem? In any case I will try your suggestions and let you know. 

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Sorry but I am unable to understand the role of bridge here. May be you can provide more info about your network connectivity between the devices.

In general, you should disable other WiFi and just keep Ruckus online, if it is installed on the same place as other WiFi router. If you are using them separately to cover different physical area, then its a different thing.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

hayward_kong
Contributor III

First of all it's probably best to setup the netgear as a wired router with Wifi shut off.  Which netgear model do you have? it should be printed on the bottom. Anyway, you should setup the Ruckus R510 as typical setup so it's just a wifi access point. Again location of the Ruckus R510 is important. Is it located near or center of the apartment? Also bathroom materials can block signal too especially if it's an old bathroom.