cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old accounts displaying full names?

ab_cm9fbwwroiuv
New Contributor II

Why is my full name being displayed publicly on this forum?

I signed up here years ago with a username that was very intentionally not my real name, but it appears that all old accounts have recently had their account names irreversibly replaced with the user's real name. Yes, I see that I can change my semi-random display name, but that does not solve the problem since my profile still clearly displays my full name. I also see that new accounts still allow one to choose something other than their actual name for both the account and display names.

This is a gigantic violation of your users' trust and privacy, and needs to be reversed immediately. When I provided my name in association with this account, it was with the understanding that it would not be displayed publicly. Changing the forum's behavior to display full names after the fact is not okay.

4 REPLIES 4

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Alfred,

This is acknowledged!

We will get back to you after checking this internally, till than bear with us.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thanks. It's honestly not that it's really that big a deal for this forum, but changing this sort of thing for existing users on an established forum is problematic. In this case, for instance, I can't necessarily link to other forums without needlessly connecting identities that are intentionally kept somewhat separate.

If the forum had requested that I use a full name and made it clear that name would be displayed on my account when I first signed up, it wouldn't really be a problem. (Though I think it's best to leave that as a choice for the user.)

Hi Alfred,

I have reported this to our forum team and we will see what can be done.

In the meantime, can you confirm how you have changed your name? I see your name is now showing different than before.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

loree
New Contributor II

Hello.  Community Admins have made some changes to the display of names.  Since we could not "see" the issue that you were reporting, we are unable to verify that the changes have resolved the issue.

If you could respond with confirmation or more information that would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Community Admin