cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hone setup recommendations

tonyp
New Contributor

I am looking for advice on setting up an Unleashed network at home. I had been researching consumer mesh products (mainly Asus & Synology) but there are features I can't find in a single product line: PoE, decent handoff support, outdoor APs.

This is low density, just a couple of laptops & phones plus some IoT lights etc. The house has 4300 sq ft plus a large outdoor area. The main challenges are range and roaming (802.11r etc.), as we depend on WiFi calling. Fiber internet has recently become available so we can potentially upgrade to 1 Gbps or higher.

The consumer products I was looking at cost in the $300's per AP. I'd be willing to buy used APs if it makes sense, although something more future proof would be preferable. I assume I'd need something like the 806-ULAP-5U00 license for each AP.

Can different generation APs such as R320 and R350 be mixed and matched providing an upgrade path? If so, would handoff work? And what would happen when the older units go EoL?

I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to make this all work.

2 REPLIES 2

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Tony,

Setting up the APs require some planning and since your requirements are also related to smooth roaming across APs, you may need more APs to cover the entire property properly.

Coming to the APs compatibility of R320 and R350, check the below release notes of Unleashed 200.12 version, here you will find all the APs supported on our Unleashed platform.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/4210-ruckus-unleashed-200-12-mr1-refresh1-release-notes... 

To know more about the Ruckus Unleashed product portfolio, refer below document.

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/61796-ds-unleashed-portfolio.pdf 

Please note, if your APs are part of the same Unleashed or any Ruckus controller solution, roaming will work.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

tonyp
New Contributor

Thanks for the response! I actually have an older 7962 AP and I had based my plans on an assumption that the current lineup would have at least as good range. Now, comparing the transmit power specs, I am less sure. Could you give me your estimate of how that older unit's range would compare with a R350 or R650?

I am trying to convince myself that an upgrade will have much tangible benefit vs. opening some walls and moving my old AP to a more central location.

Are there any other pitfalls that can prevent smooth roaming? I confirmed that our Android phones are "Voice-Enterprise" certified.