cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding mac address of wired device on a 2nd port of AP

alexandre_jablo
New Contributor II
I have a hotel with r700 where we had to use the spare port on the AP for devices in the room. The problem I have is other than seeing a link-up on the port, I can't find the mac address of the device connected. I looked through the whole system diag log of the AP and couldn't find this info.

Is this hidden somewhere? I thought we could see clients under Monitor -> Wired Clients, but this is only for 802.1x or tunneled devices. Doesn't the AP have some kind of MAC forwarding table? Its acting as a 2 port switch if you can configure VLANs on the port so I would of thought it would...

on a separate note we do use 802.1x on the wifi, but not on the hard wired, since cable connections don't move and would be easier to manage on that front (just connect the device and no prior configuration needed), so we configured spare port on the AP for the vlan of the room.
8 REPLIES 8

seanmuir
Contributor III
Clients connecting to the ethernet port in the manner you mention will not be shown on the AP or the ZD, as they are not authenticating to the network via the wireless medium.

As all clients require IP addresses, you will see them on the ARP table of the switch that the AP is connected to or the Router of the venue.

Note: Connecting more than 2 clients to AP through a switch will effect performance and can increase CPU utilization of the AP.

alexandre_jablo
New Contributor II
Thank you for your reply.

In what way can it affect the performance? if there's too much throughput (over 100mbit)? or there's just a mac address knocking on its door? 

That makes me worried as we might have like an appletv/samsungtv/ and maybe something else connected to a dumb switch on the spare port of the AP. We do limit traffic at our gateway, but I understand I don't have control over, let say local multicast traffic, that could affect affect the AP. 

If you have wired clients connected to a AP which is already having to deal with scheduling Wireless frames and then introduce ethernet frames, its going to apply load on the AP's CPU.

That's not to say that your going to see massive issues, I am just making you aware that its not recommended.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
The AP incurs CPU and memory overhead tracking the additional packets on the second ethernet interface, as it is bridged in software via the standard Linux bridging feature, not accelerated in hardware.

IMO, it's not a big deal if you're connecting a few things to an AP. That is IMO one of the convenient features of Ruckus AP's, in that they have another ethernet port that's good for enabling wired access for some nearby wired-only devices. Especially handy on meshed networks.

If you have a moderate density deployment and just are hanging some streaming TV boxes off the AP, not a big deal. If you are connecting 500 wired devices to that port and also expecting it to serve a few hundred clients off wireless, of course, you'll be a lot sadder.