cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZD3000 and R700 limits at a large public event

mihail_tudoran
New Contributor III
I am planning to supply WiFi for a large public event, about 10000 people present. I estimate that at least half will connect and use the WiFi service, this event will be hosted in a remote area and I only expect small amounts of interference, also the traffic levels will be small ( facebook, simple browsing )

I do have one ZD3000 with 25 Ap license and ten R700 access points, I am not sure about the client limit on the ZD3000 because I noticed that there is a 5000 clients limit but didn't understand where this limit applies. This limitation applies only to authenticated clients or the total number of clients regardless if they are connected to a open network ( no security or captive portal at all ) or using some kind of encryption or authentication ?

At this event I will host two WLAN's: one encrypted with WPA2 ( no user database, only a simple password ) that will host about 100 clients and one open network that will host the public with no encryption or password ( planning to use Vlan pooling in order to break the broadcast domains into smaller chunks ).

Because at this moment I only have 10 x R700 I am planning to get ten more in order to support the clients. I never tested one R700 at full capacity, is this AP capable of the 500 clients stated in the data sheet ? Will the performance degrade very much ?

Thanks !
35 REPLIES 35

One thing is how many stations can associate, and another how many can you have on an AP actually tranmitting data before either you run out of air-time or the AP says enough. With Ruckus APs you usually you run out of AT first. That's one of the reasons you need directional antennas, so that you don't create a cell where 1000 users will like to associate with it and demand their AT.

Maybe check out these antennas. http://www.wireless-instruments.com/en/produkty/21/dual-band-antennas.html

This conversation actually reminds me that I need to start a new one my self.

The ZD3000 state that it can balance clients across APs to spread the load, using this should avoid creating a large cell only on one AP ? I mean having multiple R700 placed relatively close and connected to the director to balance the clients.

Well I guess if a marketing data-sheet say it than it must work 🙂

But seriously, paper will take anything you write on it, reality will give you a check at the end. Personally I would never use omni APs for HD, unless I'd put them under the seats. For overhead or side placement I'd always use directional antennas.

I'm not saying it won't work either as it depends on some factors and the standard is built in a way that it really takes a geniuos to screw it up so much that nothing will work, but in my experience it's unlikely that users will be satisfied with the network although I've seen that Ruckus performs much better even with a bad design compared to the competition that has problems with great designs too.

Or, let me restate, there is surely a much better way of doing this, but even if it's not that great design Ruckus' APs will help you hide some of that.

mihail_tudoran
New Contributor III
Thanks ! I mostly use open authentication networks.

Will the ZD3000 with 25 AP license supported more than 5000 clients ?

Don't plan on having 500 users per AP if you want your network to work.

I keep forgetting about the user limit on ZDs, but I think it's any type of authentication that consumes one unit of that limit.