cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZD3000 and R700 limits at a large public event

mihail_tudoran
New Contributor III
I am planning to supply WiFi for a large public event, about 10000 people present. I estimate that at least half will connect and use the WiFi service, this event will be hosted in a remote area and I only expect small amounts of interference, also the traffic levels will be small ( facebook, simple browsing )

I do have one ZD3000 with 25 Ap license and ten R700 access points, I am not sure about the client limit on the ZD3000 because I noticed that there is a 5000 clients limit but didn't understand where this limit applies. This limitation applies only to authenticated clients or the total number of clients regardless if they are connected to a open network ( no security or captive portal at all ) or using some kind of encryption or authentication ?

At this event I will host two WLAN's: one encrypted with WPA2 ( no user database, only a simple password ) that will host about 100 clients and one open network that will host the public with no encryption or password ( planning to use Vlan pooling in order to break the broadcast domains into smaller chunks ).

Because at this moment I only have 10 x R700 I am planning to get ten more in order to support the clients. I never tested one R700 at full capacity, is this AP capable of the 500 clients stated in the data sheet ? Will the performance degrade very much ?

Thanks !
35 REPLIES 35

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
I don't know your exact area you need to cover but I would suggest you don't use the R700. For HD you need to use directional antennas or APs that have directional antennas integrated like 7782-n, t301n or use the 7372-e with an external antenna.
The only time I'd use apps with omni antennas if you mean to place them under the seats but from what you wrote I'd say there won't be seats there.

And the 500 users per AP is a dream. Shoot for something up to 130 per AP spread through both bands.

I totally agree with Primoz, i had similar events and the first time i used only omni and was a disaster, then i started to use 7782-n and 7782-s and it's perfect. About the number of users.. yes i agree about that numbers for stable use. 

mihail_tudoran
New Contributor III
We install WiFi systems on demand for a limited number of hours or days, that's why we preferred the R700 and it's omni antenna, we never know the venue we are going to install so we need to adapt on the spot, using omni antennas do the job.

Maybe we need to buy ten more directional antenna units, combining both based on the venue and possible installation space, this should be a good idea.

Also really curious about the ZD3000 user limitation, I didn't find something clear enough about the 5000 clients limit.

How did Ruckus measure the 500 supported clients for the R700 ? Under what circumstances in order to make this statement ?

Thanks !

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I recall the 500 client number was with open authentication (256 clients per radio), and WPA2 takes it down to something more around 128 simultaneous clients per radio.