cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my APs are in mesh mode

dimitri_d_litro
New Contributor II
Hello,

Can you help me to understand why I have 2 APs which are MeshAP and eMeshAP (10 others are working fine) ? They are both wire connected and the configuration looks good. We use ZoneDirector.

Any idea where to have a look at ?

Thanks for your help.
Dimitri
10 REPLIES 10

dimitri_d_litro
New Contributor II
The switch has an uplink, i can ping it and connect to it.

What does it mean in Mesh-related Information -> Uplink type : wired ?

Image_ images_messages_5f91c44b135b77e247a0a049_31383f170667fb68a017c47026c8a532_RackMultipart201903082330016jy-7cdee7ad-f0d9-4112-b912-8c09e653a5c4-1045849523.jpg1552039015

Both AP in Floor 0 should be (not sure, there is a lack of documentation) on the same switch which as an uplink. AP on floor 1 is normally connected on the LAN.

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
It looks like the connection from switch on floor 0 to floor 1 or the MDF is not working.  The two AP's on Floor0 are not detecting the Default Gateway via ARP requests used to test for MESH networking.

We support connecting multiple AP's together via wired network (switch) that then connect to the main network via MESH, but only one of the AP's can actually connect via MESH and the others operate as "E-Mesh" or Ethernet Mesh.  The decision as to which AP connects via MESH and which AP's become "E-Mesh" is automatic based on which of the AP's not detecting the Default Gateway on their Ethernet ports but connected together has the best connection to the Root AP (AP connected to wired network that is detecting the Default Gateway Router on it's Ethernet port).  AP's on this disconnected switch share information on their wired networks.  This is required to prevent a loop if both of these AP's on the disconnected switch connected to an AP on the connected switch.

This mechanism allows connecting buildings or floors together that cannot be wired using Ruckus MESH where multiple AP's will be in the remote (wireless connected) location.  It also shows how MESH can act as a redundant connection when something breaks the wired connection between floors or buildings.

What this looks like is a classic problem when the connection between MDF switch and IDF Switch is not working.  One AP on the disconnected switch will create a MESH connection and become a MAP (MESH AP, uplink wireless), the other AP's on this disconnected switch will operate as E-MESH and show up with Uplink type wired.  The MAP AP connects to a RAP (Root AP) that is detecting the Default Gateway on it's wired port (Floor1).

Please check connectivity between the Floor0 switch and the Floor 1, MDF or Default Gateway.  Note the MAP AP is creating connectivity so a simple ping will still work.  You will need to disable the AP's on Floor0 switch and then test the connectivity between the switches.

dimitri_d_litro
New Contributor II

Thanks for this full explanation. So now I am pretty sure that the 2 APs are on the same switch and I need to understand why it's not working.

If I am correct, even if I can ping both APs on floor 0, it doesn't mean that the ping pass thru the switch ? I ping them thru the mesh ? Right

Thanks again.

Dimitri

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
If I understand correctly - the two switches on floor 1 and floor 0 should be interconnected via cable?

If so then, yes.

Since the two switches are connected via the Mesh AP to Root AP you have connectivity (nice redundancy feature).  I believe the problem is the wired connection between the switches which needs to be investigated by checking the switch port status that should interconnect them (link integrity on ports, cabling, port status).  The problem between the switches is being hidden by the backup connection between the Meshed AP's, so simple ping testing is not helping.

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Some additional information on E-Mesh or eMAP AP status:

What is Link AP or eMAP? 

What conditions lead to an AP being seen as Link AP or eMAP?
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000001739

When will a Root AP transition into Mesh AP state?

This article talks about when a RAP will transition into a MAP and vice versa.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000003602