cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your opinion on running 80mhz channelization for 5ghz?

jason_davis_793
Contributor
What's your opinion on running 80mhz channelization for 5ghz? We're running ZD1200 qith R710s as a point of reference. OSX clients.
8 REPLIES 8

gotcha 🙂

One a side note, what's better for a high density office environment background scanning or channelfly?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
On 5GHz especially with newer firmware like ZD 9.13, Channelfly is the clear winner. You may want to mess with the MTBC setting (I've had good luck with 200-300 minutes resulting in just one or two channel hops per day)

On 2.4GHz my feelings are really mixed. Quite honestly, the safest option has been "neither". There's some horrible devices out there, particularly internet-of-things (smart thermostats, robotic vacuums, fancy light bulbs, etc) that are 2.4GHZ-only and handle channel switches really badly. Since most clients that care about performance will likely roam to 5GHz given good coverage, I've resigned myself to manual channel selection on 2.4 even though it's not optimal.

Thank you...very interesting especially on the 2.4 front. I've set our background scanning intervals for both 2.4 and 5 to 3600 seconds to mitigate a few issues. 

We have static 2.4 channels, so I think I'll take your approach and disable background scanning on 2.4 and enable channelfly on 5ghz. Though I'm still on 9.12MR3.