cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What firmware is recommended for R500, R300, H500 on vSCG?

daniel_beaver_6
New Contributor II
Our company has been running into repeated issues with each of these AP types and we're hoping to hear from someone who works with these APs regularly.  Generally we use these APs on a vSCG with firmware 3.4.2.0.275.  Lately, due to guest complaints, we have downgraded many of our sites to 3.2.1.0.695 and this seems to improve stability so far.  The problems generally include intermittent connection, or devices that will get an IP address but cannot move data through the network, though sometimes restarting the AP solves this.  We work individually with the guest on each complaint but we cannot find any obvious reason for the problems they are experiencing, we just know that downgrading the firmware seems to reduce complaints.

My question is just, has anyone else experienced issues like these?  What firmwares are best for these APs in a high density environment?  
We have confirmed the issues are not with signal or interference; we have heatmaps for the properties and monitor the SNR levels, PHY errors, and other stats but we see no issues.  

We have just over 4000 Ruckus APs deployed on vSCG and about half that in various Zone Directors, but we only ever see this problem on vSCG sites.

So, if anyone else has experience working with any of these APs, what firmware do you use and have you had any problems with them?  Were there any specific settings you had to change in order to get the APs to remain stable?
5 REPLIES 5

martin_martin
Valued Contributor
Hi Daniel,

Did you raise a case with Ruckus support?
If not, please do so, as support can assist in solving the behavior you are seeing.

Kind regards
Martin 

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Good morning Daniel, ditto as Martin asks, we need to analyze Client connections to determine what's happening how often to whom,
more than SZ/AP versions (where typically we've included more bug fixes and enhancements in the highest version all your APs are
supported on).  Start here:   https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us  Thanks

daniel_beaver_6
New Contributor II
Thank you, but we have already attempted resolving the issue through that route.  The issue is rare enough that we have been unable to reproduce it in any of our testing, but prevalent enough that with our 4000 deployed APs we get consistent complaints.  
The last ticket we opened about this we were asked to get packet captures while the problem is occurring, but we were unable to do so because our data comes from guests at hotels, who are generally unwilling to let us control their computer and run packet captures.  We investigated everything we could other than these, but could not find anything.  We initially thought the issue was caused only on 5ghz, but we have since determined this is not the case.  
I wanted to open this forum post instead of reopening the old support ticket since it is clear that this is not a 'known issue', but others may be experiencing it and may have more information on what could resolve it for us.  The main problem so far is we have been unable to find any evidence of this happening; we receive consistent complaints from vSCG deployments (though we never get them from ZD deployments), but we never see any problems firsthand or in the details of the APs

Just for your records, our support case was CaseID 00501045

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Daniel,

I read in your case notes that you migrated to 3.4 to get some 5ghz bug fix/enhancements, and I'd
suggest looking at the new SZ 3.4.2.0.169 (MR2 Patch1) I posted a couple weeks ago:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/1933-smartzone-3-4-2-0-169-mr2-patch1-release-notes
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1383-vsz-3-4-2-0-169-mr2-patch1-software-release-ximg-im...