cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup R550

david_fawcett_e
New Contributor II
 Hi.  My network knowledge is limited and I can't setup the first R550 I just received.  I tried first with the Ruckus Unleashed iPhone app.  Entered the serial number for password and keep getting no internet when trying to connect to Configure.Me and the app won't let me proceed.  I've tried on a laptop also with the same result.  Exclamation point on Wifi.

I can see an IP address on the client list, but when I put it in safari it says can't connect to server.  Thank you for any ideas!!

6 REPLIES 6

tony_heung
Contributor II
It is likely that your R550 is running the standalone code (you can check the model number at the back, if it is printed 901-R550).  Unleashed AP from factory has the 9U1-R550 label on it.

As Ruckus protects customer investment by allowing them to switch between different controller functions we have, so you can convert the standalone AP to Unleashed AP using the following KBA.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000005720

david_fawcett_e
New Contributor II
That was it.  Thank you!
I’m confused about the Mesh setting.  It’s enabled but I keep reading about using it when the APs don’t have an Ethernet connection.  All 3 of mine have a separate ethernet from a Poe switch.  Should Mesh be enabled in that situation?

I’m also getting a poor signal to some devices and a message that the APs are in a degraded mode because of not enough electrical power.  I’m using a Luxul 1010P POE+ gigabit managed switch.
Thank you for your help!!!

tony_heung
Contributor II
If all three R550 have dedicated Ethernet uplink to the switch and obtaining PoE, then mesh won't provide additional enhancement.  If however one AP is running on DC power source and no Ethernet cable available, this AP could use the mesh feature to link back the other two APs having the Ethernet.

If your switch does not negotiated the full power, ie: only 802.3af then R550 will have limited performance due to power restriction from the switch, see below.  If using Ruckus ICX switch, the PoE+ switch would always negotiate the optimal setting.  In your case, you can try to logon to your switch (if is does, as you mentioned it is managed switch), fix the PoE port to 802.3at static output. 

Image_ images_messages_5f91c453135b77e247a244dd_855d8423de845c7279fff630115d8eef_RackMultipart2020091510605pkp2-f0cab4d3-419e-494a-b0a8-7cc9c3440d24-336944757.png1600204598

david_fawcett_e
New Contributor II
Thank you so much for the help!  I really appreciate it!
I think I’ll get the Ruckus switch.  I read that I would have to factory default the
APs to turn off the Mesh.  Would it be ok to just leave it enabled or am I’m missing
out on any features or performance?
Thank you!