cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Features

daniel_m
Contributor
Been working with Aruba gear for a number of SMBs, but I’m considering going down the Ruckus route for my (fairly large) home in order to do a simple evaluation of the product and, possibly, start deploying it for SMBs as well. With that said, I know the limitations of using these in a standalone configuration are many (I can’t justify the cost of a controller for home use), but does anyone have a list of features that are supported in a standalone configuration? For example, I assume band steering can only be done by a controller, but can a standalone AP do adaptive beam forming/BeamFlex?

Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

john_d
Valued Contributor II
The ZoneDirector always blacklists a small list of channels (including 20MHz ones 140 and 165). The standalone config does not. I'm not quite sure why 140 is blacklisted, but I understand 165 is due to 802.11ac rate control issues. So if you run a 802.11ac Ruckus, you'll have to blacklist 165. I also blacklist channels 36-48 because they have the lower UNII-1 regulatory powers which translates to lower range. Doesn't matter if you have a bunch of AP's, but if you just have one, 5GHz range is noticeably better on channels 52 and above. This is configurable via the ZD WebUI but is a CLI only feature on the standalone AP's.

I personally had trouble with Bonjour connectivity on a standalone R700 that was magically resolved by adding a ZoneDirector, but I haven't really had a chance to dig into why that was the case. YMMV on that though, don't let my one-off observation scare you in that regard. Ruckus support was very helpful and responsive to my issue.

Other than that, no config tuning was necessary for me.

As far as monitoring, the standalone WebUI is fairly limited in the info that it shows. You can drill into each WLAN and look at the list of connected clients, and then drill in further to find their signal strengths. You can look in the syslog (get syslog log) and see association and roaming info in ath9k/hostapd jargon. I used to do a lot of DD-WRT hacking and the early days of ath9k on Linux, so this is not a huge issue for me. But the ZoneDirector presents a list of all connected clients, signal strengths, their roaming history, etc etc etc in a much more coherent UI for monitoring. It also graphs bandwidth / capacity / throughput over time (10 min / 1 hr / 1 day) on both a per-AP and a per-client basis, which is info that isn't available on the standalone AP's unless you do something like write a script to continuously query the AP over SNMP.

Basically, if you have multiple AP's on your network, the ZD will save you a lot of time and headaches with provisioning a consistent configuration across all devices. If you have to take support calls like "for the last 5 minutes my iPhone has been dropping its wifi connection / had horrible throughput", then you really need the ZoneDirector's historical logging info.

Otherwise, a standalone AP is fine if you just need the superior RF abilities of a Ruckus without enterprise-class management/configuration ability.

Thanks for the blacklist hint—I have some mobile clients that don’t grok DFS so this will be necessary. In reviewing the CLI reference guide, it appears client isolation is also supported in a standalone configuration and I assume this will be CLI-only as well.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I'm pretty sure you're right, it's CLI-only. The web UI is kind of limited in standalone mode. Not a big deal for the technically inclined, but this isn't the AP you hand to Grandma for better wifi performance 🙂