cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

tim_adams
New Contributor

I finally upgraded to fiber from ATT. I have everything working, yet I am getting much slower speeds from either access point than if I connect to the att router itself. I have the 1gig service and from the ATT router I can get 828down / 647up, but when I connect to AP (2 - R510’s), the speeds drop down to 367down / 310 up. I’ve cracked 400 a few times, but that’s still over 50% loss. I have the TX power set to full on both AP’s but still between two AP’s, I get tremendously less speed than if I were to connect to the att router itself. My complete system consists of ATT modem/router, to the edge router 4 to  an ICX7150 switch that the two AP R510’s are powered with on the unleashed interface.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tim_adams,

All we have to know in this scenario is the wireless link speed. Accordingly client could achieve internet speed. To know the link speed and MCS value run below command from AP CLI. From Master AP, you would need to turn on AP-mode.

get mcsrate <wlan_id> <client_MAC>

The MAX link speed 11AC client could achieve with 2 spatial streams on 80Mhz bandwidth and short guard interval is upto 866 MBPS. With this link speed assuming minimum airtime utilization, client could achieve 750 to 800 MBPS of internet bandwidth.

Please refer below table for more info on MCS Table.

https://wlanprofessionals.com/mcs-table-and-how-to-use-it/

Regards,

Parikshith

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

paul_mcguire_20
Contributor

I assume if you plug into the different devices you mentioned you get good speeds?  If so then you need to look at what channel width you have the 5G set for. You probably need atleast 80mhz channels to get anywhere close to the 1g internet connection. 

vesalius
Contributor

Yes check the channels the Ruckus is using at 5G. I have seen instances where an isp modem squats on the lower non-DFS 5G channels (36-48)and ruckus-AP’s then select DFS channels and some wireless devices just don’t get the same throughput with those channels.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tim_adams,

All we have to know in this scenario is the wireless link speed. Accordingly client could achieve internet speed. To know the link speed and MCS value run below command from AP CLI. From Master AP, you would need to turn on AP-mode.

get mcsrate <wlan_id> <client_MAC>

The MAX link speed 11AC client could achieve with 2 spatial streams on 80Mhz bandwidth and short guard interval is upto 866 MBPS. With this link speed assuming minimum airtime utilization, client could achieve 750 to 800 MBPS of internet bandwidth.

Please refer below table for more info on MCS Table.

https://wlanprofessionals.com/mcs-table-and-how-to-use-it/

Regards,

Parikshith