cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype for Business over WiFi

mark_anthony_sa
New Contributor III
Our customer has ZD3000 running 9.12 firmware and over 150 R710 APs within their premises.

Currently, majority of traffic that passes through their APs is data traffic. I've been told that they plan on reducing cost on maintaining and licensing wired VoIPs by utilizing Skype for Business. Now obviously most laptops and smartphones will use WiFi to connect to Skype so my question is do I still need to tunnel traffic to ZD or not necessarily? As much as I would like to create a separate SSID just for Skype, this might become troublesome if users need to use email or browse the internet. Also, our customer has layer 3 setup wherein each floor has the same VLAN for each SSID but on different DHCP scopes.
4 REPLIES 4

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Design/planning questions like this would be best discussed with your local VAR or Ruckus Systems Engineer.

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
tunnelling traffic is generally recommended for VoIP. 

mark_anthony_sa
New Contributor III
Does tunneling only work or effective on APs on different subnet or as well with client roaming on another area on same SSID and VLAN but different DHCP scope? I'm thinking that client device will change DHCP address when it roams but just totally not 100% sure.

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Most WLAN vendors support L3 roaming but cant say ive ever needed to do this with Ruckus