cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading AP antenna patterns

beni_mahler
New Contributor III

Good morning everbody,

I have a little doubt about the antenna pattern diagrams in the data sheet. I know the APs all have a donut shaped antenna pattern and I have understood the difference between elevation and azimuth.

My question is whether the elevation antenna pattern diagram refers to an AP "mounted to a ceiling" or lying on the table. I strongly believe that the latter is the case (as in my photoshopped image for the 2.4GHz pattern) and NOT as in the 5GHz pattern. 

kind regards

beni_mahler_0-1693811423470.png

5 REPLIES 5

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi @beni_mahler,

Refer below simple diagram explaining Azimuth vs Elevation.

syamantakomer_0-1697732238445.png

Now if you plot the antenna pattern on above diagram, you will get the idea of 3D shape it will create.

syamantakomer_1-1697732366606.png

AP is assumed to be placed on a table, not ceiling. This is why when you install on ceiling, you will flip it by 180° facing towards the ground.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Dear Syamantak,

Thank you for your answer. I understand it a bit better now. Regarding the Azimuth diagram: can you tell me where north is on the access point?

kind regards

That diagram was just for the referance.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

beni_mahler
New Contributor III

Fine. How do I need to place the ap so that the azimuth diagram is accurate? Is my placement of the AP in the image below correct? Or should the RUCKUS logo point towards another direction?

Also regarding the elevation diagram. Is it correct that the diagram corresponds when the AP is placed like shown in the image? That would be a bit strange because the gain would be optimal in the direction where the ap is mounted to the wall/ceiling?

syamantakomer_1-1697732366606.png