cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R730 negotiating 100M no matter what I do

ray_phillips_73
New Contributor III
I've got a brand new batch of about 20 R730 APs. They're all connected to Cisco 2960X PoE+ Switchgear. 

I don't know if I have a power issue or LLDP issue. but all of them running any version of the firmware with or without a controller etc. 

They all are negotiating 100Mb max and I can't even set the speed to 100 through the CMD. 

Haaaaaaalp!!
19 REPLIES 19

Thanks! It is a major point many users miss and later face issues like low throughput, low coverage area and unable to use second eth port.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

One of the strangest conditions throughout all this is that even attempting to set the interface speed to 1G from the cmd line results in the following 

rkscli: set ethspeed 1 1000

Error: parameter error

Usage: set ethspeed

-------------------------------------------------------------

** connect speed:

**     100  - Set to fixed 100Mbps full duplex

**     10   - Set to fixed 10Mbps full duplex

**     auto - Auto-negotiation to max bandwidth capability of

**            the interfaces (default)

indicating to me that 1000 isn't even an option for negotiation... that bit pointed me away from it being an LLDP issue. 

I can administratively change the power mode on the AP to af or at and I still have the same condition.

We are going to attempt use of PoE injection to see if we get different results. 

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
One simple but common problem when AP's cannot negotiate above 100Mbps maybe cabling.
100MBps uses only 2 pairs of UTP while 1000MBps (GiGE) requires all 4 pairs.  Check the cabling infrastructure to make sure all 4 pairs are properly terminated from AP to Switch.  Setting the AP to auto negotiate (default) and also configuring  switch port to auto negotiate should result in 1000MBps operation without further configuration.

That's a sensible recommendation, however the issue is only present with R730 APs and it's every one of them in the district which is 25 of them across 10 or so different switch stacks. 

Another important point we missed.

Thanks Albert!

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn