cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R710 Losing 5GHz

tstuart
New Contributor

I have 2 R710's in my network. Both home run back to the core switch. 

For some reason the 5GHz keeps randomly disapearing (at least it appears to be random). 

Firmware is on the latest version (checked it just this morning) on both APs.

FW: 200.15.2.212.14

Powered by DC adapter (not poe)

I know this isn't alot of info, but I'm not really sure what all to provide to help troubleshoot this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Squozen
Contributor III

Check your diagnostic logs. You should see if the AP is detecting interference on the DFS channel and swapping to a new one. When that happens the AP must (by law) wait and ensure the channel is not being used by military/weather radar. The byproduct of this is the channel disappearing for a certain amount of time. If you see that happening, you need to tell the controller to not use the problematic channels. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Squozen
Contributor III

Check your diagnostic logs. You should see if the AP is detecting interference on the DFS channel and swapping to a new one. When that happens the AP must (by law) wait and ensure the channel is not being used by military/weather radar. The byproduct of this is the channel disappearing for a certain amount of time. If you see that happening, you need to tell the controller to not use the problematic channels. 

tstuart
New Contributor

Thanks. I went into the support info log. 

searched for DFS and found a few

DFS wait set for channel xxx

I've now disabled all the channels I found. 

Will this in theory keep me more stable? Or does it randomly do the DFS check on every channel no matter what? You said it's detecting interference, but the log entry didn't APPEAR to indicate that's what triggered it to do this wait. 

Basically just checked that I've interpeted it correct, and checked the correct log. 

If you don’t want a random disconnection you need to just disable all DFS channels. That’s the price you pay to use the channels unfortunately. The chance of losing wifi becomes less likely when you have multiple APs (as they’ll be on different channels) so that’s another option.