cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R700 unleashed

ianley
New Contributor II
Can somebody help me understand why the R700 is not supported by unleashed? It seems now to be the one mainstream indoor AP not supported. It's really frustrating it is not supported I am sure I am not the only one feeling this way.
13 REPLIES 13

mark_davis_qqf9
New Contributor III
I am also an owner of an R700.

I'm very disappointed to hear that the R700 is not supporting unleashed yet - please add this.

I am looking to buy some new APs, but I am concerned about the way Ruckus has abandoned its R700 user base like this.

Thanks, -mark

mark_davis_qqf9
New Contributor III
Also, I'm surprised to hear that this is a memory issue - are folks able to confirm that the R600 and R500 have more memory than the R700??  That is hard to believe, since those products were the same generation, but down-market from the R700.  Thanks, -mark

dan_kern
New Contributor III
Mark,  I hear your pain.  I too am a home user and got pretty excited when Ruckus came out with the Unleashed management platform.  I had been studying the Ruckus Products for a few years dreaming of the day I could afford to install one in my home.  Being on a tight budget, I eventually bought a few used R500 units on eBay and other sites on the web for around $50 each and was able to re-flash them with the Unleashed software and mesh them all together.  Everything works just fine, and being that the Ruckus products are suppose to be "Commercial Grade" equipment, I fully expected that they would be functional and supported for quite a while on this Unleashed platform in my home.  I run the entire house on internet based products including IP Phones (Google Voice running on an Obihai Obi-202 Device), TV's, Fire Sticks for streaming video, Cell Phones, Tablets and both Desktop and Laptop PC's.  I do all of this on a simple 20 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up Comcast Cable Internet ONLY subscription using my own Motorola / Arris SB6141 Modem and TP-Link Routers with no issues.  After getting everything setup and configured with Unleashed, everything works just fine and as expected.  After only a couple of firmware updates from Ruckus, they announced they were dropping support in Unleashed for the R500, R600 and other older Access Points.  So I'm stuck at my current version of Unleashed software, but since everything is working good, I'm not going to touch it.  When it dies, I'll probably go find something else to use, but at the moment I'm pretty happy with it's performance. So in short, you may want to consider what I did and sell the R700 and pick up some R500 or R600 devices on the cheap and install the older build of Unleashed on them to address your home networking expansion challenges.  I'm currently running version 200.7.10.202.94 of Unleashed, but it looks like there is a security upgrade version 200.7.10.202.118 available, so I'll likely roll that out soon. Hope this helps!

ICritMyPants
New Contributor

I got my R700s given to me because we were upgrading our wireless network and the R700s were not going to be supported on our controllers.  If I were actually buying APs to setup a mesh for my house, it wouldn't be Ruckus.