cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 internet speed slower than ISP provided.

joshua_sin
New Contributor II
I setup 2 R500 as a mesh network and using 1Gb boradband network. I find that the connection speed dropped to around 400Mb for Cat6 cable connection and 200Mb for Wifi 5G connection (80 Hz) when I connected internet via R500. I tried to connect my notebook to ISP modem directly and got >900 Mb speed. 
What could I do to improve the performance?
15 REPLIES 15

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Joshua,

There are several factors in this which can support speed behind a mesh network.
  1. Speed you are getting on ethernet may or may not be equal on WiFi because WiFi is a half duplex mode of communication, unlike full duplex in Ethernet/wired network.
  2. Speed depends upon client supportability, compatibility, multipath (if using multiple spatial streams).
  3. R500 can max support upto 2 spatial streams so your client should also support it.
  4. Now if we talk a about WiFi speed behind a mesh AP then lets consider below.
Topology:

Ethernet network/SW <<<<>>>>> A-Root AP(hardwired) -B <<<<>>>>> C-Mesh AP (WiFi bridge mode)-D <<<<<>>>>> E-Clients behind Mesh APs.

On above ideally you should get below speeds on each points

A- 1Gig over ethernet to Root AP
B- Upto 867 Mbps max over WiFi to any wireless device connecting to this AP directly.
C- Half speed of max speed of Root AP. Means 867Mbps/2= 400 Mbps~
D- AP can provide maxi speed/2 upto what it is receiving from mesh uplink (from root AP).
E- Clients can reach max 400 as that is the limitation introduced by mesh link (last mesh hop).

With each mesh hop, speed will decrease by half from its last hope. Means connecting a 2nd AP to mesh AP will further reduce the speed to 400/2.

I hope it is clear now why you are getting less speed.

If you are getting low speed on root AP then please check how close you are to AP, check if client supports 80MHz on 5G band, etc.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Are you also getting low speed when your laptop directly connected to 2nd port of the AP? If yes then could you confirm what is the firmware on APs.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thanks for helping!

Yes, the speed is just around 400 Mbps even my laptop directly connected to Root AP's 2nd port.

The firmware on APs is 200.7.10.202.118

Regards,

Joshua

Hi Joshua,

Could login to root AP CLI and share output of below commands.

If root AP is Master AP then:

enable
ap-mode
get eth
get eth eth0
get eth eth1

If it is member AP then:

get eth
get eth eth0
get eth eth1

Also try with a different laptop/desktop to check the speed.

What speed test app you are using to measure speed? Could you try using iPerf and see if you get better output?

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn