cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 firmware upgrade faild

sunzi888
New Contributor

I have 3 very old R500 APs in my home that were installed by previous home owner and were controlled by a zone director 1200.  But I was not able to access the controller.  I had to build a new home network on my own.  Now I want to take over all 3 R500.  I did reset on this first r500 AP, and logged into the onboard web interface at 192.168.0.1.  I was able to use the local upgrade FW option to point to the new FW image on my laptop, but it seems that the upgrade did not going through correctly because the duration is too short, maybe 10-15 seconds.  It flicked back to the login page.  After that I could not bring up the login page via the IP: 192.168.0.1, and display following error message:

"This site can't provide a secure connection

192.168.0.1 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

I repeatedly try to reset the AP but has no result.  Only power lit solid green, all other lights dim.

I suspected that the firmware is corrupted due to the unsuccessful firmware upgrade process.  But how can I take from here to fix it?  Is there any other method that I could use to upgrade the firmware or even better to upgrade to unleashed firmware?  Thanks very much for all the help I can get!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ms264556
Contributor II

If you still have the ZD1200 then you're better off factory resetting this (pressing the F/D button for 10-12 seconds). The ZoneDirector software is very similar to Unleashed, and the last ZoneDirector release (10.5.1) is more up-to-date than the latest version of Unleashed which the R500 will run (200.7).

You can plug the ZD1200 into your PC and visit 192.168.0.2 once it's reset. It has a setup wizard similar to Unleashed.

Regardless, old Ruckus software doesn't work well with recent Chrome or Edge versions - especially the upgrade process is broken. Use Firefox. If Firefox refuses to let you connect then you can enable old TLS/SSL versions:-

1. Enter about:config into the address bar, then click the Accept the Risk and Continue button.
  2. Type tls into the Search box.
  3. Set security.tls.version.min to 1.

Now you should be able to click through the warning and get to the web UI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ms264556
Contributor II

If you still have the ZD1200 then you're better off factory resetting this (pressing the F/D button for 10-12 seconds). The ZoneDirector software is very similar to Unleashed, and the last ZoneDirector release (10.5.1) is more up-to-date than the latest version of Unleashed which the R500 will run (200.7).

You can plug the ZD1200 into your PC and visit 192.168.0.2 once it's reset. It has a setup wizard similar to Unleashed.

Regardless, old Ruckus software doesn't work well with recent Chrome or Edge versions - especially the upgrade process is broken. Use Firefox. If Firefox refuses to let you connect then you can enable old TLS/SSL versions:-

1. Enter about:config into the address bar, then click the Accept the Risk and Continue button.
  2. Type tls into the Search box.
  3. Set security.tls.version.min to 1.

Now you should be able to click through the warning and get to the web UI.

Thank you very much!  I took your advice: 

"If Firefox refuses to let you connect then you can enable old TLS/SSL versions:-

1. Enter about:config into the address bar, then click the Accept the Risk and Continue button.
  2. Type tls into the Search box.
  3. Set security.tls.version.min to 1."

After that it is smooth sailing, and I just finished installing the unleashed onto this AP.  But I just realized that I might inadvertently created two master unleashed R500 APs.  I will see what will be the effects and how to remedy it once I deploy this one on the same network with the previous one (AP) already in-place.

Thanks again! 

I realized that I created two master R500 APs with the same SSID.  I tried to find a solution for it.  After browsing on this forum, I think the particular steps that I should follow are:

• Log into the 1st unleashed AP to check 1, the unleashed version? 2, the IP address?
  • Log into the 2nd unleashed AP on a separate network to check the unleashed version.
  • Make sure the AP with the newer version of unleashed should be the new master AP, and connect it closer to the router or switch in the network
  • Reset the other AP and then connect it onto the same network to let the master AP take over as a member AP

Am I correct?  Thank you very much for your input!

sunzi888
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your prompt comments and for your suggestions!  The reason why I think I am not at the point that I would take over the zone controller yet.  Because under the zone controller remains the old half of the network that connected to mainly an AV Rack-full of equally troublesome if not even more challenging Elon whole house AV system and other unknown setups.  My current approach is to setup a separate new Cat6 wired/Wi-Fi mesh network in parallel with the old 100m wired/Ruckus AP Wi-Fi network.  I have been gradually moving devices that I am certain over to the new higher speed network under my admin.  This AP is my second test APs.  I bought an old R500 on eBay as the first guinea pig, and it was successfully assimilated into my new network and installed with unleashed.

So, I would try your your suggestion for "old TLS/SSL versions" since Firefox still will not allow me a go...

Thank you very much and have a great day!