cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R300 - How to setup for home use

jeff_6933445
New Contributor II
I have zero experience with Ruckus products. I have a couple of second-hand R300's that I inherited and I would like to know if they can be used without paying for a license or controller software.

I did not want to take a chance on bricking them so I haven't attempted any firmware updates or configuration edits.

I'm in the process of updating my network to include VLANs. I want to put the R300's on their own VLAN. What FW should I use?
12 REPLIES 12

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Yes

allyson_koter
New Contributor III
Can I do this at home with my ATT router? 
DO I really need to change the IP address on my router?
Cant I just upgrade the firmware on the AP to standalone then plug it into my home router?

andrew_giancol1
Contributor III
Fresh out of the box a Ruckus AP is set up to obtain a DHCP lease. Provided you're able to see what IP it received you can just http:// to the IP address, instead of having to re-subnet your network. Hope that helps.

It's not out of the box but I think when I took it down I reset it.
SO there isn't any special configuration at all within the home router either? 
Seems too easy. 

well, I cannot speak to your home router, and I assume we're still on topic discussing how to get into a Ruckus AP and set it up for home use.
That being said, you may be able to see if it's in default by viewing the network arp table. On my MBP it looks like this.

$ arp -a

? (192.168.197.17) at 90:6c:ac:97:7d:93 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

? (192.168.197.18) at d8:38:fc:38:5b:b0 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]

? (239.255.255.250) at 1:0:5e:7f:ff:fa on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]

broadcasthost (255.255.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

If it doesn't show up there, I always recommend using Wireshark and the filter eth.address[0:3]==d8:38:fc where those three sets of numbers represent the first three from your AP.
Good luck!