cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX Clients Connected to AP, but not passing traffic

jason_davis_793
Contributor
Anyone else experiencing issues with OSX clients connecting to APs, then randomly not being able to pass traffic/browse the internet?

We're seeing this primarily with OSX 10.11 clients. We have ZD1200s and R710s running 9.13.1

Ruckus support's latest fix was enabling Proxy ARP or upgrading to Sierra. But we just experienced the same issue with a Sierra device.
59 REPLIES 59

joseph_lobianco
New Contributor
I'd take Ruckus' suggestions with a grain of salt in regards to their suggestion on proxy arp unless it is escalated to a (very) senior engineer.  Ruckus has repeatedly told me to try certain fixes that very clearly have no effect or make any technical sense.  We use 10.11 here in my office without proxy arp enabled, and have no issues except for the one that I am troubleshooting.  It is possible that we would need to enable proxy arp as they suggested, but from my understanding this would not apply to us since we are seeing this issue within a single broadcast network (i.e. proxy arp on/off wouldn't help/hurt here).

If I can now reproduce this issue by significantly lowering my arp expiration timeout setting on my router, then I should be able to test out the effect of enabling proxy arp on the WLAN.

Have you made any additional determinations about enabling proxy arp?

Unfortunately I have not yet.  I will report when I get a chance to.

bill_fehring
New Contributor
I'm experiencing this too. Proxy ARP seems to help, but fundamentally I have a packet capture showing quite clearly that my Juniper gateway (an L3 switch in this case) sent an ARP request to the client, it arrived at the AP (which I'm capturing via a SPAN port), and the AP refused to deliver it to the client. It wasn't until the client did another ARP request to the gateway that things got better. On the same token, I've noticed that Windows clients seem to send gratuitous ARP requests periodically and I suspect this is actually what's helping them avoid this. ARP is pretty fundamental; the AP is deliberately interfering with it in a bad way.

geoff_anderson_
New Contributor
We haven't seen it as much after making a few tweeks with Ruckus support. We're still rocking the proxy arp as well.  We've seen a few of the known bugs that Ruckus is working with Apple to resolve...not sure of a resolution timeframe though.