cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX Clients Connected to AP, but not passing traffic

jason_davis_793
Contributor
Anyone else experiencing issues with OSX clients connecting to APs, then randomly not being able to pass traffic/browse the internet?

We're seeing this primarily with OSX 10.11 clients. We have ZD1200s and R710s running 9.13.1

Ruckus support's latest fix was enabling Proxy ARP or upgrading to Sierra. But we just experienced the same issue with a Sierra device.
59 REPLIES 59

jason_davis_793
Contributor
Interesting fixes, but those are a bit more invasive than I would like to do for all of our clients. Ideally, we'll see a true fix from Apple or Ruckus soon.

joseph_lobianco
New Contributor
Some new information:

Packet capture with Ruckus proved issue out to my firewall (acting as the default gateway for my wireless subnet).  After lots of troubleshooting, we now see this to be related to an arp issue that is only experienced by wireless clients.  It appears that the Ruckus equipment will RANDOMLY interfere with arp request/reply between the client and default gateway, which causes a delay of between ~8-50 seconds of loss of [default gateway]->[client] traffic.  Once an arp entry is put into the default gateway's arp table, traffic is immediately resumed.  I emphasize randomly, because sometimes the arp resolution is done appropriately and no issues are seen.

If you are also experienced by this issue, then you can relieve the problem by increasing the arp entry expiration on your router.  I set mine to 24 hours.  Of course this is a workaround and not a fix...

The challenge now is for me to continue troubleshooting with Juniper support in order to procure evidence showing this is a problem with Ruckus' equipment.

jason_davis_793
Contributor
Very interesting! Our ARP entry timeout is 30minutes and is not adjustable 😞

toomas_kadarpik
New Contributor III
Ruckus is interfering if proxy arp option is enabled at particular WLAN setup

jason_davis_793
Contributor
It was recommended by Ruckus support to enable proxy arp for 10.11 clients. Once all clients are 10.12 it was recommended to disable it.