cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of streams in Mesh

GreensTheorem
New Contributor III

How many streams do Ruckus Access Points utilise when used in a Mesh?

Let's say I Mesh an R750 with an R750 on 2.4Ghz - Will it use 4 streams or 2 streams?

What if I Mesh an R750 with an R650 on 2.4Ghz - Will the bandwidth be lower because the R650 only has 2 streams in 2.4Ghz?

3 REPLIES 3

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello @GreensTheorem,

Please confirm on what platform and on what software version you are using the APs.

In mesh connection, mesh AP acts as an STA (client) and that means max bandwidth will rely on AP-STA compatibility and support. In this case, if R650 only supports 2 stream, mesh on 2.4G will be limited to 2 streams.

By default mesh feature uses 5GHz radio, but if you force it to 2.4G, it is not recommended because channel availability in 2.4G is very limited and there are only 3 non-overlapping channels. This means channel bonding can easily cause interference.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi @syamantakomer 

I'm on SmartZone 6.1.1 with AP Patch 6.1.1.0.1322

I need to configure a Mesh, but there is a thick concrete wall in between the two APs, so 2.4GHz is probably going to be the better option than 5GHz (no direct line of sight).

I have currently planned on using R750 wired and R650 as mesh client.

Would the throughput for mesh be better if I replace the R650 with R750, because the R750 would be able to use 4 streams on 2.4Ghz instead of 2 streams?

Logically it should, because both side APs will be able to support 4 stream.

Before you install, you may test it out in local setup. 

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn