cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max clients per AP in mixed authentication environment

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Hi All, just wondering if you could advise on max clients in a mixed authentication environments. Not that I am planning to max out any specific AP's but as I understand it the max clients drops from 500 (250 per radio) to 200 (100 per radio) when encryption is used. My question is; what if the AP provides both open and encrypted networks? Dose the lower value still stand or do both max amount count (200 encrypted and up to 300 open). I am specifically referring to R600 & R700 AP's however I guess the question stands for most.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Robert,

Glad to know about your planning, and to offer advice to maximize client connectivity, configure your hotel service WLAN(s) with WPA2/AES PSK (not WPA, not TKIP or
Auto); and you can create WLAN Group(s) with all or only some of your defined WLANs (the fewer the better) and apply to your conference room level vs guest
only floor APs.  We do also have the AP Group concept in SCG/vSCG too for the
same purpose.

Hello Michael,
so let see if i understand, by your words if a plan a venue with let's say 2 SSID's (one  open and other WPA2), and for example i have an average of 10 user per AP authenticated in the close SSID and the other is for the open access, i would to count with +-200 user per AP (on total radios) correct?

regards

That would be a good number to approximate with, yes.