cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many concurrent clients for ZoneFlex 7372 and 7982?

philip_colmer
New Contributor
We are looking to book a hotel for a conference in February. The hotel is using ZoneFlex 7372 and 7982 APs, which the Ruckus web site says can support over 500 devices per AP.

We have a high number of devices in use during our conferences so I want to make absolutely certain that the hotel's Wi-Fi is up to the task.

Can each access point *really* support over 500 concurrent clients or will the number be lower than that? What dictates how many concurrent clients each AP can support?

Thanks.

Philip
5 REPLIES 5

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Hello Philip,

If you are going to use encryption or security then numbers of clients supported per AP will take a hit.

No AP goes beyond 500 whether with encryption or NO encryption. If VOIP is being planned to be used then SIMULTANEOUS VoIP CLIENTS is Up to 60 (802.11e/WMM support), 30 per radio on 7982. this is as per datasheet which can be found here:

http://a030f85c1e25003d7609-b98377aee...

Hope this helps.

PS: ZF7982 is a real workhouse and built for REAL high density.

philip_colmer
New Contributor
Hi

We aren't going to be using VOIP.

So if the APs are configured for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, does that mean a maximum of 60 clients or does the 7982 have more than 2 radios?

Sorry - I don't know anything about either AP other than what Ruckus put on their web site.

Thanks.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
hi,

ZF7982 & ZF7372 are both dual band concurrent AP's,

By default whether in a standalone mode or controller mode, both AP's are configured for concurrent 2.4GHz and 5GHz operation.

60 is a max number for concurrent VOIP client supported on ZF7982 so roughly 30 on each radio.
If there is no VOIP and security then ZF7982 can easily handle 80% to 90% of numbers advertised. I don't have proof however i have seen it handle then well.

hope this help.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
You can find the answer in this post

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruc...

I have recently deployed an HD WLAN and found that an AP can take at least 270 devices, however I wouldn't recommend it as the retries do go up quite a bit beyond the 150 mark. Try using the 7372-E with a directional antenna for HD and limit the size of the cell to not enable more than about 100 to 130 devices per AP.