cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend Ethernet Reach with 2nd Ethernet port on AP

danny_nichols
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to extend my wireless signal / AP past the 100m limitation of ethernet. I have been denied funding to get another switch to do it the proper way. I recently discovered that I can use the second port of our AP's as a network port. Is it possible to plug an AP into an AP into an AP, etc. to extend that ethernet range and get the AP where I need it? Obviously they would need to be on AC power but besides that are there any problems you see with this solution?

I'm looking to come from the switch to power an AP, then connect that AP via it's ethernet port and then connect one more AP to it's ethernet port.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6

martin_martin
Valued Contributor
As an addon on the message from Michael, be aware that you are limited also in bandwidth as you share the speed of the first AP with the other two AP. so if the first AP is connected with 100Mb the others will not get 100Mb as AP1 already takes some for its clients etc etc.regardsMartin

danny_nichols
New Contributor II
Great! Thank you everyone for the input. We won't have that many users on it, but I will keep an  eye out for issues with bandwidth. Thanks for everyone's quick replies.