cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate IP addresses when roaming

jay_bosworth_7p
New Contributor II
I have a smartzone 100 with a moderate quantity of R600 AP's.  The smart zone is running 3.5.1.0.862.  I have an HP A5500 as my core switch.  I am seeing a large quantity of duplicate IP address errors showing up in the logs.  The devices have the same MAC address 90% of the time.  It appears the issue is when they roam from one AP to another it is triggering an ARP notification and it is causing minor flooding of my network at different times.  Is there a quick setting I am overlooking?

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

andrea_mijares
New Contributor III
Hello Jay,

You can try activating the tunnel mode on the SSID, this cause that the ARP logs come to the controller instead of the SW, this can help you a lot with this and in this way you can check if it is a real problem with duplicated IP or is just ARP.

jay_bosworth_7p
New Contributor II
Nope, I turned on tunneling on one of my SSID's as a quick test.  While it did keep the errors from showing up on my core switch it also effectively disabled that WLAN.  None of the clients that connected to it were able to get an address from my DHCP server.  I just disabled tunneling this morning to get everyone back up and running.

andrea_mijares
New Contributor III
That's a really weird behavior, do you have this problem on remote locations? Because I have used the tunnel mode and it should only disable the SSID around 10 seconds and then back again, it shouldn't cause a high impact at least that something else on your network is happening.

jay_bosworth_7p
New Contributor II
I am not sure what you are asking when you say remote locations.  The controller is at another location, but all of the AP's are right here in my building.  One of our partners hosts the controller for us.