cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downtime Concern in Upgrading vSZ-E

a_ridwan9
New Contributor II

Hi all users. I want to ask in this forum about upgrading virtual Smartzone (vSZ-E). Currently, in my office are using vSZ-E that in 3.6.1 version. My company wants to upgrade this vSZ-E to latest suggested version, 5.2.2. My concern is, if we do upgrade this vSZ-E with following the upgrade path (3.6.1 -> 3.6.2 -> 5.2.2), is that will be downtime on all device (vSZ-E and all AP that has been joined to vSZ-E), or is that will be downtime only for Smartzone and all AP will still up and can be used for giving wifi access to user? Thanks in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @a_ridwan9

I have tried your request in my lab setup and here's my answers:

1. Post upgrade to 3.6.2, each AP zone needs to be upgraded manually to version 3.6.2.

3. If you would like to upgrade the smart zone to latest release, SZ won't allow you to do so with AP Zones on 3.6.1. To upgrade SZ to 5.2.2 all AP zones needs to be on minimum 3.6.2 version. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Parik

a_ridwan9
New Contributor II

Hello @Parik_MN,

Thanks for your contribution to comment on this thread. I've seen on my another post and commented too by @Vineet_nejwala, I already have a picture about what you described. Thanks for helping me.

One more question, @Parik_MN. Just for make sure about timeline. You've had mention above on this statement " It would take ~15 minutes to complete AP upgrade process.", is that means when I do upgrade/change AP Firmware per Zones, it will take 15 minutes downtime per Zone?

FYI, My plan is will make all AP Zones existing in my Smartzone office are still using old AP firmware version (which mean if I upgrade Smartzone to the latest 5.2.2, the all AP Zones existing will be using 3.6.2 as your lab result because it can't using AP Firmware 3.6.1 when using Smartzone 5.2.2 ya)

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello @a_ridwan9

Yes, your understanding is correct about AP upgrade downtime.

About your second question, SZ won't allow you to upgrade to 5.2.2 unless all the AP Zones are upgraded to minimum 3.6.2 version.

Regards,

Parik

a_ridwan9
New Contributor II

Hello @Parik_MN,

Thanks for your contribution. Yeah, so for the summary.

1. Upgrading Smartzone from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 (no Downtime because wifi/WLAN services still working as mention from Vineet in the other post).
  2. Upgrading all Existing AP Zones from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 after Smartzone is done in 3.6.2 (will cause Downtime per AP Zones)
  3. Upgrading Smartzone to 5.2.2 (no Downtime because WLAN services still working)

That scenario above is the best practice for my activity (and for downtime concern to my company), isn't it? Thanks in advance.

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @a_ridwan9

1. Correct no AP downtime, unless there is Proxy Dot1x auth and Tunneled SSID.

2. Correct ~15 minutes of downtime is expected.

3. Same as answer 1.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,

Parik