cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP local subnets zone director

chris_griffiths
New Contributor II
I currently have two sites connected by a layer 3 network. At each site L3 switches route the traffic. At the main site i have a ZD setup and APs connected to the same layer 2 network ( Vlan 1 - management) - 192.168.5.X/24 - This is fine the Wireless client connect and obtain IPs in the Vlan 1 network.

At the second site we again have a Vlan (vlan 1 - 192.168.6.X/24) The APs have IPs assigned in this however the Wireless clients get IP addresses assigned from the management vlan at the other site. I need the clients to get IPs from the local DHCP scope not the 192.168.5.X scope.

Note Both sites have DHCP scopes setup on the lcoal L3 switches. Connecting a laptop to the ports get the correct IPs from DHCP. 

I found the following in the setup guide:

NOTE: All DNS, DHCP, ARP, and HTTP traffic from an unauthenticated wireless client will be passed onto ZoneDirector from the AP via the management VLAN. If the client belongs to a particular VLAN, ZoneDirector will add the corresponding VLAN tag before passing traffic to the corresponding wired network. After client authentication is performed, client traffic will directly go to the wired network from the AP, which will add the corresponding VLAN tag. This explains why it is necessary to configure tagged VLANs for all VLAN switch ports connecting to ZoneDirector and APs

I understand this but how can i achive this across the Layer 3 boundaries as both sites use the same VLAN IDs 

10 REPLIES 10

gerard_3770286
New Contributor III
What is the DHCP server address, and what scope is it in ? 

chris_griffiths
New Contributor II
Each subnet has a DHCP scope supplied by the L3 switch at that site. The APs obtain DHCP addresses from the correct DHCP scopes (same if i connect a laptop to the port.) It's only the wireless clients that get an incorrect IP. (from the management Vlan of the ZD)

DHCP server primary site 192.168.5.253
DHCP server secondary site  192.168.6.253

gerard_3770286
New Contributor III
I'm not sure about this answer. Do you need to enable Option 43 ?

chris_griffiths
New Contributor II
No the APs have already joined the ZD. This is specifically an issue with Wireless clients and the DHCP IPs that they are obtaining.