cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonjour gateway on AP: enable on all AP's, or just on a few?

pieter_schepens
New Contributor III
We're using Bonjour Gateway on AP (not on the ZoneDirector). That works fine: Apple TV's are published to the clients VLAN and they can reach them.
Question: is it necessary/recommended to enable the Bonjour Gateway configuration on all AP's, or just a few? If a wireless client is connected to an AP, does that particular AP need to have the Bonjour Gateway configuration, or can the wireless client see the Apple TV's if Bonjour Gateway is configured only on some other AP?

Some context: we're trying to configure Bonjour fencing to limit the amount of Apple TV's the clients can see, but that doesn't seem to work. Any advice is very welcome.

(ZD1200, 10.4, R500, R510, R550)
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Pieter,

The Ruckus documentation says "In heavy use and if using AirPrint, AirPlay, and AppleTV at a site/location, consider defining one service on each of three different AP Bonjour Gateways to distribute the memory/CPU utilization."
Could you provide the link to this referance document.

AFAIK, on ZD you can either enable Bonjour GW on ZD or on APs (as explained before, it is GLOBAL SETTING, means it will be enabled on all the APs).

I will check on my lab setup to review the settings again and see if there is anything, which we are missing.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak

This is the link to the page in the documentation: https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/zonedirector/10.4.1/GUID-E70FBD17-BB9F-4A4D-9F95-BE19E9699708.html and http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/zonedirector/10.2/GUID-E70FBD17-BB9F-4A4D-9F95-BE19E9699708.html

Any extra info on Bonjour gateway and fencing is very welcome.
In order to limit the advertising of Apple TV's, is it enough to block the service "Apple TV", or also "Airplay", or even some other services as wel?

Best regards
Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for providing the link!

Before I suggest anything, could you confirm below details.
  • How many Apple TVs or other bonjour service related devices you have?
  • Are these devices connected to wired network or wireless?
Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak

Thanks a lot for looking into this!
  • Apple TV's: more or less 80, divided into 10 VLAN's (a /27 subnet per building/zone)
  • In some buildings they are all connected with ethernet, in other buildings it's a mix of wired and wireless connections (wireless = in a separate WLAN, but with a VLAN override per building; same VLAN's as the wired Apple TV's)
  • all the teachers' devices are connected to one oher WLAN (one VLAN)
  • the Bonjour Gateway rules advertise the Apple TV VLAN's to the one VLAN of the teachers
Regards
Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Try below and see if that fixes the issue.
  • Since you are overriding the VLANs for different buildings, you have to first gather the data and then create the bonjour policies.
  • Notedown the VLAN used on individual buildings for apple TVs.
  • Now create and enable the correct bonjour service with correct VLAN mapping for individual buildings.
  • Since you are going to use bonjour fencing, choose 1-hop option while creating policy and also map to specific building APs or you can also map it on AP group level.
Post following above, if you are still seeing issues, please open a case with support and they will help you with the further troubleshooting.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn