cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoconfigure R500 on offsite VSM

bradley_forrest
New Contributor II
I'm struggling to get all this to work the way I need it to.

We have about 37 Ruckus R500s with an offsite host for the "Virtual SmartZone- High Scale" and the supplier isn't exactly very helpful...
I am only seeing 35 APs in the VSZ and they are now all showing as offline.
I want to add a new AP to the system to see what is going on.

Many of the devices were configured via CLI before being installed by the supplier. I need to be able to configure the devices in another way. I am looking at DHCP options to configure the devices and I need to do 3 things with our Windows Server 2016 DHCP

1) Configure the devices to switch to the wireless management VLAN
2) Configure the "set director addr (this option appears to be missing from the CLI now)
3) Configure the "set provisioning-tag "

I'm struggling with configuring the DHCP and need some assistance.

I want to make use of the Vendor Classes to make my life easier and prevent conflicts with our coming VoIP system.
So I'm guessing I create a Vendor Class with the ASCII of "Ruckus CPE"
In Predefined Options, I need to add the new Option Types.
Each Option Type needs a name, data type, and code but I cannot find any consistent information on what these 3 entries should be.
Once the options have been created, I need to add configurations into them into the scope options. But again, these are not very clearly defined that I can make sense of.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or is this actually possible?
6 REPLIES 6

Anusha_Vemula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello,

We use the command 'set director ip ' to provision an AP manually to a ZD.

But to join an AP to the vSZ/SZ, the command is 'set scg ip '

As you are looking to avoid manual process, you can configure DHCP option 43 on your DHCP server by adding controller IP address for the APs to auto detect the controller and join it.

The article link given below shows the configuration of option 43 on Windows server with vendor specific info.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000003197

- Anusha

Useless to link an article that is behind a paywall... Thanks

just create an account on support, then you can access the article and other stuff, is not a paywall

if you have 37 Ruckus R500s with an offsite host for the "Virtual SmartZone- High Scale", then you need to have an account already that you can use, otherwise you cannot add licenses to the controller 🙂