cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7731 PtMP to AP's instead of to another 7731

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
Can a 7731 be used in PtMP mode to shoot a signal to 7363 AP's? (or other Ruckus AP's ?)

I have a situation where i need to get signal inside some apartments across a parking lot from where the WAN equipment is and its proved difficult so far with a 7762 - i do get a signal in those apartments from a 7762 but its very weak.

Since i had a lightning strike to that 7762 i only have 7731's left in stock (local Ruckus agent does not keep stocks in country so long lead times to get radios)

So in order to get this job done i have to use what i have at hand.

I have 4 x 7731's and 8 x 7363's plus a few other AP's (7321, 7341, 7982 that i brought in so i could actually see the product as the agent does not do this)

So the question - can i use a 7731 in PtMP mode to get a signal to a 7363 (since dual band)?

If i cant do that to a 7363 AP , would a 7982 AP be any different?

If possible i dont want to use a 7731 on each end then run ethernet from the 7731 to one of the indoor radios i have.

Will what i propose work? If not how else can i do this?
19 REPLIES 19

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
This one was probably my fault a bit. I probably didn't explain it 100%. What I ment was to run a few PtPs or PtMPs with 7731 only, and connect 7363 via cable to the remote locations. Or use MESH to connect 7363s ONLY, not 7731 with 7363.

Sory for the dookie.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Regarding your quote: "If only Ruckus dealers kept real stocks of AP's and we didn't have to wait weeks and weeks for AP's to show up - i would not have tried this if i could get a new AP fast enough"

I can say that Ruckus' lead times are anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. So plan your stock on that 🙂

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
Hey no problem Primoz...i appreciate the intended help.

Its all a learning curve.

As for stocks...... dont get me started on this one. I love the product ...Ruckus RF is simply the best out there - its totally amazing where i can get good usable signal from one AP.

But no matter which way you cut it, slice it or dice it, this is expensive kit. Its a hard sell on a client who does not "get" the RF angles. Then when you finally land a customer and find you need this or that AP for the particular job .....we cant get it for extended lead times.

At these prices there should be plenty of stock in country - but there never is and Ruckus don't seem too interested in our plight. Business is brutal as it is.....landing a job then waiting and waiting for the kit is just not good. At these prices it should not fall upon me to be a pseudo stockist of this great and wonderful RF technology.

I am not going to stop using this gear as it is the best out there but Ruckus ..really?

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
I'd be interested to hear what Ruckus have to say about this problem. Great kit but if its not around when i need it, then.....whats the point?

Keith?

We operate through our channel partners (Distributors and VARs) and so we don't really control what is stocked where - only the lead times are (somewhat) under our control. So this is really more of a question for your local distributor. We are relatively new in many regions of the world, and so in the absence of historical demand data, vendors may be understandably cautious in stocking. A phone call from their customers often works wonders 🙂