Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneDirector - Access Point Auto Recovery

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hello,

maybe someone can clarify this.
I don't really understand the "Auto Recovery" Feature on my "Access Point" Page.

What i understand:
Is it right that the Time (in Minutes) I configure here is the Time how long my Access Points can offer access to my WLANs after the Connection to my ZD goes down? I think that just wireless networks without Radius or Guest Ticket Authentication will work without ZD. After that time, my AP reboots and try to connect to my ZD. If he could not reach his ZD, he do not serve any wireless Network any more and my Clients are offline.

Here my questions:
In fact i just can set a maximum time of 1440 Minutes (24h) i will get a (big) Problem if my ZD goes down because of a hardware Problem. Right? If yes, how should i solve this. Disable the Auto Recovery? Other Solution?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Marco
5 REPLIES 5

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Hello Marco,

Is it right that the Time (in Minutes) I configure here is the Time how long my Access Points can offer access to my WLANs after the Connection to my ZD goes down? --> yes.

I think that just wireless networks without Radius or Guest Ticket Authentication will work without ZD. --> yes. it includes any authentication where ZD is involved or store the keys like zero IT keys.

After that time, my AP reboots and try to connect to my ZD. If he could not reach his ZD, he do not serve any wireless Network any more and my Clients are offline.
--> yes, your understanding is bang on target.

Yes, you must give max time for event like hardware failure or branch AP's connecting to ZD via MPLS or VPN which is prone to outages.

Use ZD in smart redundancy mode which takes away headaches in the event on ZD hardware failure. You have other ZD taking over to help you avoid complete outage.

if no smart redundancy then while waiting for replacement to arrive configure the AP's as standalone to give wireless access atleast

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hi,

thanks for your reply.
I am sure most of my smaller Customers dont want to buy a second ZD "just" to prevent complete Wireless Outage in the event on ZD hardware failure.

So two additional questions please:
- If i uncheck the Checkbox "Auto Recovery" did my APs serve wireless for an unlimited time OR do they stop serving any wireless Network right after the Connection to the ZD goes down?
- I read some information that there is a new Feature in Software 9.8 to create a "Autonomous Wireless Network". Could this be a possible Workaround/Solution to prevent a complete Outage?

Many Thanks!

Best Regards
Marco

mitchell_axtell
Contributor II
They would continue to broadcast until rebooted, yes.

However, this would also hold true if they were isolated from the network. If the auto-recovery feature is disabled and they lose link to the switch, you have created a honeypot that will cause issues until the AP's link is resolved, not solve them. Normally, it would honeypot for the default 30 minutes, then reboot and stop broadcasting. Signal would be lessened in the area, but people would associate to the surrounding functional APs and still get online.

A ZD hardware failure is far less likely than an AP going offline, so we have yet to use the autonomous network option (actually added in 9.7, not 9.8), for this very reason.

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hi Mitchell,

At last the penny's dropped!
So the "Auto Recovery" Feature is not a "Security Feature" or a way to re-established the Connection to my ZD. Primary its a way to avoid creating a honeypot.

So i will try to use an autonomous Network.

Thanks!
Best Regards
Marco