cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZeroIT redirect and Smart Redundancy

rob_coote
New Contributor III
In the Hotspot settings a redirect URL is set for unauthenticated clients to be sent for authentication. For us, this is the hostname of our primary ZD3000.

If Smart Redundancy is triggered however, and all AP's and clients fail over to the secondary ZD - with a different IP and hostname - the redirect fails (obviously).

Is there a way to ensure ZeroIT will still function properly if the primary ZD has failed?
17 REPLIES 17

ed_hynds
New Contributor II
This is how I've set the ZD up, it works fine, however what happens when the primary zonedirector fails? I presume we must login and change the path to the captive portal or update the A record to point to the secondary ZDs IP? Also on the Radius (NPS) server I have to create a second configuration for the secondary zonedirector?

Thanks,

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Smart Redundancy does not sync the client status.
When the ZD fails over all captive portal authenticated users will have to log in again. WPA and open WLAN devices without authentication will re-connect in the background

If you are using Hotspot with an external WEB server for the login page then the sip variable will automatically have the correct ZD device IP so users connect and authenticate on the now Active formally standby ZD.

If you are using WEB-authentication, then users will get automatically redirected again to the now Active ZD.

Since the client authentication status is not synced, grace period will begin again once the clients re-authenticate.

Each ZD will have to be configured as a RADIUS client in your RADIUS/NPS. The Active ZD will send authentication packets using it's device IP.

ed_hynds
New Contributor II
Hi Albert,

Thanks for all your help, its really appreciated.

Ed