cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vlan pooling

otman_ibrak
New Contributor

Hello,

I have just joined a team and I am responsible for zonedirector administration. I found that Vlan pooling are not set up on zonedirector but clients can still get an ip Address  from dhcp per scope per wlan. ex : if I pickup a wlan from those offered by the Aps I get an IP from the same scope no matter the device i am using or when I pick up this wlan. do you have any explanation to this please ?

With kind regards 

7 REPLIES 7

Is the VLAN48 configured as tagged VLAN or its a native/untagged VLAN for the trunk port?

If VLAN 48 is native/Untagged, observed behavior is expected.

As per the basic switching VLAN concept, untagged traffic coming from connected device will be processed by the switchport, irrespective of configured untagged VLAN on the other side device.

Untagged ethernet frames from a device doesn't include the VLAN information in the ethernet frame, so what VLAN number is assigned doesn't matter.

In short, untagged VLAN can talk to any untagged VLAN on the other side of the device.

In case of Ruckus WLAN configuration, VLAN 1 is considered as untagged and as soon as you change it to any other VLAN, it will become a tagged VLAN.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hello Omer,

As you can see, this switch is connected to AP via interface5 and the untagged traffic is for vlan48, which groups all APs. Vlan1 is untagged too but excluded and I think that is normal as a port can't handle untagged  traffic for more than a vlan.

As questionned before, the AP is broadcasting 4 SSID, how the AP forwards the dhcp request to a specific pool while WLAN pooling is not enabled on the controller ? I am not sure if I am clear but when a user picks up an ssid the AP forwards the dhcp request  to the same gateway.

Image_ images_messages_60f58553c74d42413a7c851d_ebe2ac7e41d802b9fa8a23fbb2a9af02_Snip20210719_3-6d78c8b9-d345-4738-876d-817e96c4176b-105828925.png

Image_ images_messages_60f58553c74d42413a7c851d_ee093cd58188537313eb3db7c0f75e11_Snip20210719_2-ade9238a-cba0-4297-8b6b-c8af16ce9c7f-104905404.png

Hi Otman,

So in the above configuration, your switch port 5 is configured with Untagged VLAN48. Right?

Now come to client DHCP. Depending upon what VLAN is configured on the WLAN, on which your client is connecting, AP will send the DHCP frames.

Lets say, if WLAN/SSID is configured with VLAN20 (and same is tagged on the switchport), then AP will send a tagged DHCP frame out from its ethernet interface and then that frame will hit the gateway of VLAN20 (assuming there is no other L3 device which is acting as relay agent).

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn