cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User fails authentication too many times in a row when joining WLAN

wouter_beens
New Contributor II

Hello,

In the ZoneDirector I get multiple messages of clients who fails to authenticate too many times in a row when joining a WLAN. We configured multiple Open WLAN networks and it happens by all of them. In the Syslog Guide the action is to check the user credentials, but it's an open network with no encryption.

We use firmware version 9.10.0.0 build 218, but these messages where already their in firmware 9.8.1.0.101

Access-points type mostly T300 and ZF7762.

Has anybody experienced this before?

21 REPLIES 21

I would imagine that the ZoneDirector has some sort of blacklist, the SmartZone does.

wallace_houston
New Contributor II
You are right and I have set one up.  Much easier than I Thought.  Instructions are below. I set up a deny list this morning.  I can cut and paste mac addresses of users (cell phones) that continually bang on the door but do not get authenticated.  It has been working since this morning and no one has screamed yet. So, i must have set it up correctly.   Thanx!

Using the Access Controls configuration options, you define Layer2/MAC address ACLs, which can then be applied to one or more WLANs (upon WLAN creation or edit). ACLs are either allow-only or deny-only; that is, an ACL can be set up to allow only specified clients or to deny only specified clients.   MAC addresses that are in the deny list are blocked at the AP, not at the ZoneDirector.

To configure an L2/MAC ACL:

1.  Go to Configure > Access Control.

2.  In L2/MAC Access Control, click Create New.

a.  Type a Name for the ACL.
     b.  Type a Description of the ACL.
     c.   Select the Restriction mode as either allow or deny.
     d.   Type a MAC address in the MAC Address text box, 
           and then click Create New to save the address.

The new MAC address that you added appears next to the Stations field.
You can enter up to 128 MAC addresses.

3.  Click OK to save the L2/MAC based ACL.

You can create up to 32 L2/MAC ACL rules and each rule can contain up to 128 MAC addresses.

You can apply the ACL for a specific WLAN in Configure>WLAN>Create New or Edit a WLAN>Advanced Options>Access Control.

We can apply only 1 ACL per WLAN.