cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update firmware for ZD1200 and R700

joe_stegman
New Contributor

Moved into a house with a Ruckus setup. Want to upgrade the firmware but can't because I don't have a support upgrade entitlement. Is it possible to upgrade my devices w/o a support upgrade entitlement?

If not, OK - then I'll take step 2 and get support - problem with that option is I can't get anyone to respond to the support emails. Is there a trick to this?

Joe

7 REPLIES 7

david_black_594
Contributor III

If you want to renew support, you can contact ruckus.renewals@commscope.com.

The last ZD release that supports the R700 is 10.3.  Depending on your current version, the upgrade may or may not be worth the cost. If you’re on 9.9 or 9.10, in my opinion the upgrade would be worth the cost of a 1-year renewal.  If you’re 9.13 or higher, the value diminishes pretty quickly. 

joe_stegman
New Contributor

Thanks, the ZD and APs are all 10.0.1 so maybe not worth it.

I'll try the email anyway to get a price.

Thanks again,

Joe

david_black_594
Contributor III

One other advantage of support is advance replacement - if the controller dies, you get a replacement next business day. That’s important if you have only one controller. With zone directors, if the controller fails, the wireless network stays down until the controller is replaced. If you have support, you’ll have the new controller NBD.  Without support, you have to mail the controller to Ruckus and you’ll receive the replacement in 2-3 weeks. If you can’t live with a potential outage of 2-3 weeks, you should consider buying support. 

The current cost of end user support for a ZD1205 is $219 for 1 year, $470 for 3 years. Those prices are good until the end of the year.

An alternative to buying support is to buy a second controller on eBay. Prices vary but generally are $100-200.  You should be able to change the firmware to match your version and then join the controllers together as a Smart Redundancy pair. If the active controller dies, the standby keeps the network up during the 2-3 weeks it takes Ruckus to send the replacement. Or you could just put the second controller on the shelf. If your controller fails, then replace it with the spare.  If the firmware levels are different it won’t matter as long as the spare controller is 10.3 or lower. 

Vineet_nejwala

Hi @joe_stegman 

Ruckus Support contracts provide customers with the valuable assistance they need for maintaining high reliability and performance on their wired and wireless networks. It also provided replacement at a faster pace as AR (default RTF if no support), if you don't have a valid support any technical help would be delayed/denied and could cause panic if network down or partial down issue. It is always better and good to have support which is to be prepared for any critical condition.

Best Regards

Vineet