cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To cloud or not to cloud the Zone Director?

said_ben_saida_
New Contributor III
Our ZD1100 and Aps are end of life. We are evaluating the refresh routes. The question we have is what are the pros and cons of using a virtual appliance zone director on-prem vs the cloud service?
Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

Thanks for sharing. I have not checked out anybody else for long time since Ruckus performed great for us since 2013. So we thought we stick with them. 

Thanks for sharing

My really quick analysis - we are in a very high noise environment, and we found the RF portion of the Ruckus gear outperformed Meraki.  Where Meraki really shines compared to Ruckus + ZD is logs and analysis.  In a coworking space with a hundred people or so, it was so easy to troubleshoot with the Meraki gear - the logging was wonderful.  With the ZD, we really can only see things in real time and by the time the ticket comes to us, the user is gone and we have no data.

Both of these pros/cons are very specific to us though...

Thanks for the info.  I setup syslog for my ZoneDirector, so I can collect some of this info and review in after the fact.  Also if you know the AP in question there's some additional log history that can be found if under monitor you go to "AP's" and then under actions you can click on "system info" & "RF info".

Guys 🙂 I think this post was about On-prem vs cloud. Please let's not change the subject. Thank you.