cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System loop issues

robert_griffith
New Contributor

I am having an issue.. This is brand new, I have configured it now 4 times and each time it always has the same issue. I am starting to think this is a hardware issue, or that it is just not going to work in our network. I have a Ruckus 1200 with ZoneDirector. The issue is that;

Once configured I can't authenticate into the WAP's, I get an error that indicates Authentication Error. If I set the WAPS to no password, open authentication, the same issue occurs.

Eventually the AP's that are connected (4 of them) will loose connection to the Zone Director and they won't connect at all, The DHCP on our network is setup for the client connections, but the AP's and the Zone Director use a static IP address, However the AP's don't ever get that address, They also eventually commit suicide and require me to get up on a ladder and hard reset them. Once they are reset the loop continues, where I am going through the same issues over and over again.

I can find them though on the network, and can remote into them, but the DHCP listed in the AP is not what I am using to connect to them.. The DHCP will show 192.168.0.1 as the address, but on my network they are in a different subnet, and it is what I am able to connect to.. I also can't find the 0.1 which shows on the interface as existing anywhere..

It was more simple to configure a Cisco PIX on a 12,000 Person network, with 300 VLans than it has been to configure this boat anchor.. Beyond pissed at this thing.. It's been 7 days of nightmare.

4 REPLIES 4

rob_krumm
New Contributor III
HI Rob,

192.168.0.1 is the default address that the APs take on when they are in factory default mode and do not receive a DHCP address from a DHCP server.

Just so I make sure I understand the issue clearly, have you attempted to log into the APs in factory default mode and issue them with static addresses? (via the AP web UI or ssh)

What are the ZD settings for APs? 
Manual, DHCP or Keep AP's Settings?

(you may find that setting APs to DHCP in the ZD UI is what is causing your headache?)

Best to set the IP Addressing option to static and set the address in the AP Web UI before it joins the ZD. Make sure to set the ZD to "Keep AP's settings" or to a new static address.

The AP should keep its configured address.

If this is a silly question I apologise, Just starting with the basics 🙂

"192.168.0.1 is the default address that the APs take on when they are in factory default mode and do not receive a DHCP address from a DHCP server."

Yeah, I know, but the AP shows this address, but the address is in my case actually 192.168.2.13, which is in the DHCP scope, although the GUI shows 0.1.. Not really sure why.. But after I connect to it once at 2.13, I can't connect again to it at that address, if I flop to 0.3 for instance on a laptop, I can't see 0.1 and can't ping it, can't telnet to it, can't connect with the Web interface either..

"Just so I make sure I understand the issue clearly, have you attempted to log into the APs in factory default mode and issue them with static addresses? (via the AP web UI or ssh)"

Via Zone Director, I can see them in the zone director, but only for about 5-10min, doesn't seem to matter if I do anything or nothing, they just disconnect and throw errors that the heartbeat has been lost. Yet I can still ping them from a machine on the same network. I can also ping the Zone Director from the AP itself, but I can't ping the AP from the Zone Director..

"What are the ZD settings for APs? 
Manual, DHCP or Keep AP's Settings?"

I have tried DHCP as well as Static, doesn't matter what I do, they eventually get sick of living and off themselves..

"If this is a silly question I apologise, Just starting with the basics :-)"

No worries.. It's not easy to explain.. Haven't had issues with things like this since Linksys..

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
APs are seen on the ZD but then drop off and aren't seen again... It's a common issue, but typically related to VLANs.

If you have a DHCP server giving out 192.168.2.x IPs, factory default an AP and look for it's MAC in your DHCP scope leases.

If you can ping/ssh to the AP's address, SSH in with the default 'super/sp-admin' login credentials, and try to point your AP
to the ZoneDirector with a CLI command:

set director ip 192.168.2.x 
    reboot

And your AP will try to reach the ZD after a reboot.  Does this help?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hopefully, the above will work and your ZD/APs will function on 192.168.2.x subnet.
By default the ZD/APs assume they are on an untagged VLAN 1.

[ If your DHCP server supports option 43, the ZD's IP address can be provided to APs.
If you have DNS, 'zonedirector@local.domain' with your ZD's IP will point them too. ]

When you define WLANs, if you leave the VLAN under Advanced Options to 1,
the clients DHCP will also request/receive a 192.168.2.x IP address.

If you do have to share a single network, it would make sense to assign your ZD/APs
to static IPs outside the scope of the DHCP server.  If necessary, you may need to use
the CLI command above to point the APs again.

Letting clients onto your ZD/AP network is not secure however, and Ruckus will always
recommend isolating clients onto separate VLANs when it's possible.