cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gracefully shut down APs ?

jelle_alten_606
Contributor
Is there a setting in the ZoneDirector to tell an AP to move all clients to neighbor APs?
I would like to shut one AP down, but without interrupting the clients where possible.

If not, I could turn the radio of that AP to low, hoping the clients will jump to other APs, but that sounds a bit funny.
20 REPLIES 20

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Maybe try deleting an AP from the ZD. I don't know how it handles that. It might just send out disassociation frames and then stops transmitting and answering any requests, so clients will want to connect to another BSSID.

Note to self: Sniff some packets for that.

But there is no way any AP can instruct any client on which AP it should connect to. It's up to the client always. An AP could send a dissociation frame, but the client can simply reconnect if it wishes.

jelle_alten_606
Contributor
Can't we tell the AP to maximize the number clients to zero? Or some other trick?

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
OK, I did some sniffing.

If you disable a particular radio on an AP it will immediately start sending disassociation to clients. Can't get nicer than that.

Although I see that it takes a good 2 seconds before it stops all conversations.