cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flapping on Cisco switch in a Ruckus WiFi solution

alejandro_mend1
New Contributor III
Hi

I have a wifi solution with ruckus, controller 1100 and 47 AP ́s. The ap ́s are disconnecting randomly because of some switch ́s ports are up and down constantly.
The wired network is ok and certified,
But there are many logs registered refers to flapping on the switch.
I have disabled the mesh option on the zonedirector. The processor load on the switch has been decreased after that. But the issue keeps alive.

Could it be related with the cisco switch arp table refresh time?
Is it necessary to get similir time of refresh
Or, What could be the problem?
15 REPLIES 15

mat_murdock
New Contributor II
Are you using trunk / tagged ports and are you using both network ports on your AP?

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Hello Alejandro Mendez,

I would look at following:

1. Switch port configuration

2. AP support file to see if it is network disconnect or AP reboots. You can also check in ZD events and activities to see if its a specific AP(s) or specific segment of network.

3. Check AP ports too.

4. Also read this - May be applicable to yours --> https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruc...

hope this helps.

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Alejandro:

The link from Monnat refers to spanning tree issues on switches.

It may be helpful/informative to run the following command on your cisco switch(es):
show spanning-tree detail | begin last

The first line should show you the last time a spanning-tree topology event took place. (for your first VLAN)
The second line should tell you what port the spanning-tree BPDU packet (that caused the event) came in on.

If you have multiple VLANS, you can then type "/" and return to see the same information for the next VLAN. (and the next, etc.)

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Also...
Do the switch logs refer to "mac" flapping?
If so, this message could result from wifi devices roaming rapidly between different APs.
(so the switch sees the same mac coming from different places)

You may want to check Ruckus logs to see if you have excessive roaming going on.
..and it may help to syslog this information to an external (linux?) machine in order to capture/store logs for further analysis.

alejandro_mend1
New Contributor III
Yes, the switch logs show many mac flapping lines.
The solution is a high density design. So, we use some AP to make load balancing of users. Many of them are roaming. The logs on ZD show many roaming lines.

But, I think, the spanning tree on switch have to run very fast, because, I guess it is made to wired network times (faster than wireless network).