cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade ZD 3050 from 10.1 to 9.13?

james_tyler_joj
New Contributor II
We recently upgraded from 9.12 to 9.13. Then from 9.13, to 10.1, of course failing to realize that the firmware of our APs wouldn't be able to upgrade. Now, APs we're plugging back in are throwing the event "Failed to upgrade [AP NAME] image from 9.12.2.0.219 to 10.1.1.0.42." My question is now - how do I get back down to 9.13? Thank you! 
16 REPLIES 16

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Do you know the exact build you upgraded to 10.1.1.0.42?

Typically only the first 2 digits (major/minor) need to match.  The third digit is the Maintenance Release which indicates bug fixes.  The higher the third digit the best.

9.13.3.0.164  would be the best version of 9.13 to use.

It is possible that if you were running an older version of 9.13 then graceful upgrade might fail.  But I would start with 9.13.3.0.164 as the best version.  If the ZD responds with only the option to factory default after uploading the image - you can cancel and try the older version of 9.13.  Hopefully this will not happen.

To downgrade the ZD go to Administer::Upgrade, Software Upgrade, choose file and browse to the copy of the firmware.  Once selected it should do a verification (version eligibility and hardware compatibility), and give you the option to upgrade (all good) or factory default and downgrade (not good - cancel)

Always check the release notes for upgrade path.  I checked and 9.13.0 is the oldest version that can be upgraded to 10.1.1 .... Downgrade also needs to follow this path, you should not ever downgrade 10.1.1 to 9.12 as it is not in the path.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Albert

Okay, one final question before I move forward - are the APs that have updated to the 10.1.1 going to be able to communicate to the controller if it has 9.13? Thanks!

The AP's should be downgraded to the version embedded in the 9.13.3 code.  AP's are not restricted in upgrade/downgrade versions.  This is automatic but you should plan for some service outage as the AP's reboot with the new/old version.

Okay, and that downgrade will be done automatically by the controller after the roll back?

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Do you know the exact build you upgraded to 10.1.1.0.42?

Typically only the first 2 digits (major/minor) need to match.  The third digit is the Maintenance Release which indicates bug fixes.  The higher the third digit the best.

9.13.3.0.164  would be the best version of 9.13 to use.

It is possible that if you were running an older version of 9.13 then graceful upgrade might fail.  But I would start with 9.13.3.0.164 as the best version.  If the ZD responds with only the option to factory default after uploading the image - you can cancel and try the older version of 9.13.  Hopefully this will not happen.

To downgrade the ZD go to Administer::Upgrade, Software Upgrade, choose file and browse to the copy of the firmware.  Once selected it should do a verification (version eligibility and hardware compatibility), and give you the option to upgrade (all good) or factory default and downgrade (not good - cancel).

The configuration files saved from the previous version, which should match your present upgrade less any new changes, will automatically be applied if successful "graceful" downgrade occurs. This info is not available separately but integrated into the system. 

Always check the release notes for upgrade path.  I checked and 9.13.0 is the oldest version that can be upgraded to 10.1.1 .... Downgrade also needs to follow this path, you should not ever downgrade 10.1.1 to 9.12 as it is not in the path.

I hope this helps.