cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing DPSK character length deleted all our previous DPSKs

ken_yeh
New Contributor III
We just had a mini-crisis working with the DPSK settings. To make it easier for our mobile users who have to manually enter a generated DPSK, we changed the number of characters required for the Dynamic PSK passphrase from 12 to 8. This ~immediately~ caused all our previously generated DPSKs to be deleted from our system, with no warning whatsoever. Thankfully I had a ZD backup from yesterday and I was able to restore everything within a few minutes, but this was a completely unexpected and disturbing behavior.

The thing is, when we had first started testing the DPSK feature, we used the default 62 character passphrase for some of our initial mobile devices, but we then changed it to 12 characters to make it easier to copy and paste for devices that required manual PSK entry. When we made the change back then, I do not recall that this erased all the previously generated 62 character PSKs.

What bothers me is that this is not documented at all in the User Guide, nor is there any warning or indication in the WLAN setting screen when the number of characters for the DPSK passphrase is changed. Is this supposed to be expected behavior? If so, why is there no warning whatsoever in light of the catastrophic consequences that this simple change can cause?

7 REPLIES 7

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
I just checked, once you change the char from X numbers to Y numbers, there is no alert or warning.. Warning should be there...
I am on 9.8 version...

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
this change has to go into unleashed too... no warning or alert..

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
I've raised a bug for both ZoneDirector and Unleashed platforms.
Thanks for your feedback Forums!