cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can vlan 1 be explicitly tagged on a WLAN?

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
Hi,

When my network was initially set, our internal network was set up on VLAN 1. The ruckus was configured on VLAN 10 (no management interface). I now want to set up a WLAN directly on VLAN 1 so I can use the DHCP server there and my wireless clients can be on the same subnet. Now, on 9.1.2.0.8, I wasn't even allowed to set the VLAN field to 1. Yesterday I upgraded to 9.6.0.0.267. I can now set a 1 there, but it seems to be the default and I still seem to be on VLAN 10 as that is where the DHCP server that is giving me an IP address resides.

Other Configuration info:
1) Ruckus Zone Director is on VLAN 10. No management interface is configured.
2) DHCP server is disabled, I've been using independent DHCP servers on each VLAN
3) Switch config for access points are untagged VLAN 10 and tagged everything else
4) Switch config for zone director is tagged everything, although I have tried untagged for VLAN 1.

As I've had no issues setting up WLANs on other VLANs, I'm wondering if there's something special about VLAN 1? Should my internal network not be there? Did I miss something in the user guide? Is there some other setting in the Ruckus somewhere I need to change? Did I just make a boneheaded error several times?

I think my next step is to see if I can do this via dynamic VLANs as I do intend to use RADIUS there anyway.
14 REPLIES 14

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
I actually already went through with it. I think my mistake was confusing "Management VLAN" with "Management Interface"
I had read earlier that APs still talk on the main interface even if you add management interfaces, and that confused me. I never messed around with that settings for the AP because I assumed it was irrelevant.

I now have ZD and all APs on ports with every VLAN tagged, nothing untagged and they're talking to each other fine. I factory reset the AP while it still on an untagged port - I had messed them up earlier so I already had configured my DHCP server with the ZD IP in it and have done lots of factory resets today without issue. As soon as the AP reconfigured itself with the new settings it dropped off the map. I went and changed its port to VLAN 10 tagged and it found the ZD again in less than 30 seconds.

I think I understood VLANs well enough, I was just confused about the ruckus settings 🙂 I thought everything was already on VLAN 10 as well.

Now I can't see the Authentication server on VLAN 1, but I never did understand how I could see it to begin with. Now I do. So yeah, I think I have a few routing issues to fix on either the switch or my firewall, but I'm fairly confident that the Ruckus is configured correctly now, VLAN wise.

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
I am still curious about the "Untag ID" in the AP Groups settings.

If I have other questions, should I start a new topic?

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
Hmm, not sure what happened but after I got off the phone nothing was working except ZD talking to APs. That authentication test doesn't work any more either. I think I'm going to restore my original config and give this a try again next week.

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
Hah, strike that.

I think what happened before is that I bounced access points and I still had one plugged into a switch port that wasn't its normal port - so one AP had a misconfigured port.

Radius authentication is the only thing I haven't gotten working at this point. Time to make a new backup of the config...I like where I'm at.

Thanks again for all your help!

joshua_rusch
New Contributor II
FYI, I just solved my issue with the authentication server. I had added a management interface to the same network that the RADIUS server is on. Ruckus was contacting my RADIUS server from the new IP on the same subnet, as it should. I added the new management IP to my RADIUS server and I now have everything set up exactly the way I want it 🙂