cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BANDWIDTH FOR EACH CLIENT

f_f_5638114
New Contributor II
the bandwidth of let say 802.11g is 54mbps ,when 2 clients join the same ap and the same channel becomes 54/2 and when a third client comes it becomes (54/2)/2 and so on,how lets say the 7762 supports 256 clients ?what bandwidth 256 clients will have?
14 REPLIES 14

sid_sok
Contributor II
The number of supported client is how many clients are allowed to associated, it does not mean that all the client will have all the bandwidth it wants. The total bandwidth and the usability of the connection is what counts. The high number of association will allow clients to connect/use the connection and IF bandwidth is available it can use it without having to request association first.

In your example for a 7762 which is an 11n product, the max Phy rate is 300 Mbps, which should give you roughly 150 Mbps of actual user throughput for the 5 GHz radio. If you assume all client will download at the same time and you want to give each user approximately 1 Mbps, you can only have 150 clients. The numbers will vary depending on the clients radio, distance, RF condition and a few other factor but that is approximately how you should look at the system.

Also since the 7762 is a dual band AP, the 2.4 GHz radio (default and recommended) will give you a Phy rate of 130 Mbps with a usable bandwidth of about 50 Mbps, so for the same condition of wifi usage you can add 50 more clients at 1 Mbps each.

If there are casual users and most are browsing the web or reading e-mail and are not constantly downloading you can have more users, but per AP (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) you have about 150 Mbps (user data) bandwidth to work with.

f_f_5638114
New Contributor II
so the ruckus antennas dont make any difference to the bandwidth that is available to clients?
even with ruckus and 2.4ghz 11g(not 11n and not 5ghz) if i have 50 clients they will have 1mbps each ,as with wifi ap's from other vendors?

sid_sok
Contributor II
Our antenna system does not change the protocol, it dose provide a better physical medium experience creating less ambient noise and provide some noise mitigation, but once the signal get to the client or the AP the 802.11 protocol takes over.

If you have an 802.11g network you Phy rate will be 54 Mbps at the very best regardless of how high your signal strength is and your data throughput will be about 20 Mbps on average. If you have 50 client you will have to divide the 20 Mbps 50 ways, assuming all the client are demanding service at the same time. If you did a download test on all 50 at the same time you will get 200-300 Kbps each client (some overhead for switching time between clients) and some client's test may not complete or start right away depending on how aggressive other devices are.

f_f_5638114
New Contributor II
so lets say i want to support 50 clients with 2mbps each(or higher) ,is better to have 2 cheaper ,less capable to support many users ap's, at different channels and close together, than buy an expensive ruckus device that can support 50 clients(at least) ?
i am trying to compensate the cost to perfomance and as i see i cant