cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading Access Points from ZF7962 to R510

matt_hodge_d5fx
New Contributor III

Hi – We currently have a Ruckus Zone Director ZD3050 with about 30 ZF7962 access points running version 9.8.3.0 build 58. We are keeping the ZD3050 because it’s fairly new, but we are replacing the ZF7962 access points with ZF R510 (model 901R510US00) to work with this controller. I’m looking for some direction on the best way to upgrade, without taking down the entire wifi network. If I configure each AP for the Zone Director, will the R510 access points function on version 9.8.3.0 build 58 temporarily? My thinking was to replace several a day until complete, then if they all function on version 9.8.3.0 build 58 once all are installed, then upgrade the controller to the latest version, which of course will upgrade the access points. Please let me know if this will work. Also trying to find out what the earliest version of firmware the R510s will work with - please help - Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

mitchell_axtell
Contributor II

Unfortunately the R510s start at 9.13, so you have a big gap there.  Are the WLANs possibly able to be set up as Autonomous WLANs so they may work without the ZD?  If so, you'd be able to upgrade the ZD to 9.13 to support the new APs and just leave the 7962s without a ZD.

Alternatively, the R510s do support Unleashed, so that may be a different option in the interim.

Please note that the ZD3000 is end of support and stops at 10.2.  Any future AP such as an R550 will not be supported, and the only current ZD is a ZD1200 (everything over 150 APs is a SmartZone).

@mitchell_axtell - Thank you for your response. Really appreciate it. I'm trying to come up with a good strategy for this situation, and I'm not stuck on using the R510 APs if there is another model that would work in this scenario. Like I mentioned, we dont want to completely take down the wifi during the upgrade. You mentioned, the R510s support unleashed. Is this stable? I'm wondering what the downside/upside would be to setting this up without the controller. Being that the R510s (again, doesnt necessarily have to be this model, only needs to work with the ZD3050) would be replacing the 7962 APs, and in the same locations, would it be possible to have the R510 and the 7962 APs functioning on the same network, and then once all of the 7962s have been replaced, connect the R510s to the controller? I'm trying to find the best solution for this scenario. 

The R500 is the newest midrange AP that would work for this, which is end of sale so it might be difficult to get ahold of.

Unleashed is stable, just has a feature set difference vs the ZD, so it's going to be dependent on what is currently configured on your WLAN if it is a one for one swap over.  It would be easier to manage than 30 standalones, though if you set up an SSH script or a config backup you can paste/restore it onto the other APs pre-ZD.

@mitchell_axtell - Thank you again for your info! I was able to get a hold of R500 APs which I'll then add individually so we don't need to take the wifi offline. One question I had, maybe you know the answer, with the R500 comes a ceiling mount where you can mount the AP to the metal track between drop ceiling panels. Do you know if there is a wall mounting plate for the R500 that would work for these for areas where there is no drop ceiling? Please let me know, thanks!