cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartzone 100 and R730 Reboots/ Offline Issue

kevin_7278725
New Contributor III
Is anyone having issues with R730's randomly going Offline and requiring the AP to be rebooted in order to get it back online?  We have been seeing this issue for about 30 days now and support has been unable to tell us why the R730's are doing this.  The AP's are inaccessible most of the time when the issue happens, but sometimes we are able to still ping the AP and actually SSH to the login prompt, but the admin account/password will fail.  Once we power cycle the AP it works fine again.   When the issue is happening the AP is still accepting clients but it has no network access so those clients are broken.  It is very frustrating and Ruckus support has been no help.  The R730's are connected to Ruckus ICX 7650's via 5Gb multigig ports.  The switches report no problems and there are other AP's on the same switch at the time that have no issue, so the problem is just random Access Point specific.  The issue is completely random, no pattern can be found, other than support telling us they are seeing AP kernel panics and that they can't tell us why or how to make stop.   

Smartzone 100 version is 5.1.2.0.302 - which support had us upgrade to as they said that would fix the kernel panics - It has not

R730 version -  5.1.2.0.373

A few of the R730's have not been able to recover from this issue after a reboot and have had to be RMA'd.  Some of them will automatically reboot after 15-30 mins, but if we manually reboot them they typically come back online and work.  Was curious if any else is experiencing this issue with R730's, Smartzone 100's, and ICX 7650's?  

63 REPLIES 63

Hey folks, did GA 5.2 resolved the kernel panic issue?

GA 5.2 has appeared to initially have fixed our kernel panic issues.  I say initially because we are still 90% WFH still because of COVID-19 so we do not have the normal load on our Ruckus gear.   We should be getting more load over the next 2 months and once things are back to normal load I will post if everything still seems good or not.

Dear Kevin, I see that you are dealing with this problem for 8 months now. Please, kindly update us when you can. I am very interested in seeing how is this issue going to be solved since we are implementing R510, R610, R720, T310 and T710 APs. on SZ124. I hope you will find a solution. Thank you!

brian_mitchell_
New Contributor

We have been having intermittent wireless connection problems with many of our R730 units. (Clients can't connect to the AP.) Only about two percent of our AP's are R730 units, but they account for most of our connection failures.

We were told that a firmware upgrade would fix the issue, so we upgraded from VSZ 5.1 to VSZ firmware 5.2.2.0.317 in May, 2021 (AP firmware 5.2.2.0.301), and this seemed to work for a while, but the connectivity issues returned and we began to notice them again on September 24th, 2021. (We have no change points associated with that date; we just started observing the failures then.)